Tasty Tuesday: Broccoli Cheese Soup

It may be one day away from spring, but where I live it's still cold. C.O.L.D. We're still wearing sweatshirts, layers and layers of clothing and snow boots. I, for one, am a little tired of the cold...but since it's still cold, I'm indulging in one of my favorite cold weather recipes today - Broccoli Cheese Soup.

Here's the recipe:

What You Need:

1 can of Chicken Broth
8 oz broccoli pieces - either from the frozen section or fresh
8 oz Velveeta cheese, shredded
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup instant white rice or micro-sized noodles (we like the noodles, makes for good slurping)
2 cups of water
3 TBS butter

How you cook it:

Set your crock pot on low if you have 4 or more hours, high if you have two hours or less. Put the chicken broth, water and cheese into the crock pot to heat. In a medium sized skillet, melt the butter and then saute the broccoli pieces and onion until lightly browned. Add the broccoli and onion to the crock pot. Stir everything until well mixed; the cheese should be melting by now. Add the instant rise or noodles. Put the lid on the pot and let it cook. Stir occasionally, just to make sure the cheese is not sticking to the sides.

Serves: 6 to 8

Comments

  1. Oh, yum, this is one of my favorite things, season notwithstanding! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so yum, Liz...now to keep RadioMan out of the still-cooking-pot for the afternoon...

      Delete
  2. Sounds yummy Kristi. We're still getting wind and snow and cold too..boo!

    Your recipe is very similar to mine except I add cubed ham and sometimes a few diced potatoes...really sticks to the ribs. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I might add the cubed ham next time I'm cooking it, Christine! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. oooh dee-lish sounding, thanks Kristi. Need something to cheer me up for this never ending Winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been sooooo long, Cait! I'm ready for summer!

      Delete
  4. Yum! I'm going to Wal-Mart and get some stuff. I think I could actually make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you definitely can, D'Ann, it's super-simple!

      Delete
  5. Sounds delish! That's Jordan's favorite soup from Panera. If I make this, it might save me a ton of lunch money :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. probably! I think the ingredients cost me around $6 last time - but that was because my pantry was basically empty. Still, $6 for 6 meals isn't too shabby!

      Delete
  6. Oh, that sounds luscious. I'm printing it out. Thanks, Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toss in some bacon. Everything's better with bacon. I also like adding some really sharp cheddar and sour cream as a garnish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh, some shredded, sharp cheddar would be great on top! Thanks, Pat!

      Delete
  8. Yummy!!!! Its cold here too. This sounds like it would warm me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's definitely a cold weather recipe, Sharon!

      Delete
  9. This sounds so yummy. And it's gluten-free! I've been waiting for a cheese broccoli soup recipe. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts