My Take On The Vow!

Hey blog followers! So it's been a week since Valentine's Day. Have you recovered from the overdose of chocolates, flowers and love proclamations? Yeah, me, either. Although I prefer my candies and flowers for no reason at all, Valentine's Day still gets me...which is why I dragged Radio Man to 'The Vow' last week. You know, the Channing Tatum/Rachel McAdams tearjerker about the aftermath of an accident on a couple.

And my grade: B-. Mostly because I couldn't connect with Rachel's character Paige. Warning: Spoilers ahead.

Okay, the premise of the movie: Paige and Leo (Channing Tatum) are rebel-artists in Chicago where they meet cute (he sees her on line at the DMV and asks her out), fall in love uber-fast and get married in a spur-of-the-moment ceremony at the Chicago Art Institute. Fast-forward a few weeks and they're in a car accident from which Paige loses her memory. And apparently her common sense. Leo, following his wedding vows, vows again to woo her back because 'we'll always find our way back to one another'. *sigh* And, okay, the Leo voiceovers are hokey but he totally made me get all *happy sigh* several times.

Paige, though, mostly annoyed me. Why? Because she was too quick to go back to her life - a life she hadn't lived in 5 years. Yes, I get that she didn't remember her life with Leo, but from the moment she woke up she had no interest in even learning about that life. She didn't ask questions. She didn't try to get to know him. She ran to her mom as often as possible. I just couldn't connect with that. Maybe I'm too much of a cynic? Naah, it was just...unbelievable. She didn't ask any questions, whatsoever. No questions about why she dropped out of law school 5 years before to attend art school, she showed no interest in learning about the art that was commissioned by a major new developer, no interest in her friends...no interest in pictures or mementos of her life with Leo. And I couldn't get past that.

It didn't totally kill the movie for me - I do give it a B- - but it did leave me scratching my head. A lot. And I think what was missing was the motivation for Paige. There was a lot of Leo - through his voiceovers we learned how hard he loved Paige and how committed he was. From Paige there was. . .nothing but the newly-overwhelming need to run home to Mom & Dad, dress in preppy clothes and revert to her high school days. And leave hunky Leo behind. I mean, who does that?!?

So, my grade is a B-...but what I took away from the movie was a better understanding of why we, as writers, need to twist the drama and emotion with every scene. Because otherwise our readers will be left as I was after the movie. Having enjoyed most of it. . .but thinking it could have been so much better.

How do you wring the emotion from your scenes?

Comments

  1. I haven't seen it and probably won't, but I think that happens too often--the motivation is such that it's hard to suspend disbelief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the movie looked good, but now maybe I'll wait for the dvd version...lol.

    I've been to several movies lately where I've scratched my head at things the characters will do. Or that make not connect with the characters because of their actions or choices. It does boil down to making them believable..someone you'd want to hang out with maybe or root for.

    Nice post today Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I even picked that up in the trailers, will wait for it to come on TBS in a couple years :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandi and a friend went to the movie...they didn't like it much. I don't think I'll go see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't see the movie. As far as wringing emotion into every scene I write. I have no clue if I do it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your take. I think I'll wait for it to come out on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for stopping by, everyone.

    Jerri, from what I've read, you keep the emotional intensity (and the suspense!!) HIGH on your scene priority list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm awful - I haven't even heard of this movie. Then again, I haven't sat in a theater in over five years. I'll take your grade of it and watch it on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking about your question about wringing emotion out of every scene, I'm not sure I do that. I think I have builds through several scenes leading to an emotional crisis. Kind of like waves.

    I hadn't heard of the Vow, but I don't go to movies much, so I probably woouldn't anyway. :)

    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:23 PM

    I heard a mix of comments, but it's a true story from what I understand... so I'm waiting for it to come out at the video store!
    Good post,
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't watch that movie because my husband suffered a traumatic brain injury this spring and it hits a little too close to home.

    But emotion... that is so critical to any story. I layer my emotion in, bit by bit until I finally get it right, but it takes a lot of time. Though it's well worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't seen the move and don't plan to, but I think this happens more often than not with movies. Great article, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharon, I'm so sorry about your hubby...hope he's recovering!! And I do the same thing - layer that emotion in. The first pass, it's hinted at and each pass gets a bit more!

    Thanks, everyone for stopping in!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this review Kristi. I wondered about that one and you told me just what I wouldn't like about it, too. I'm a stickler for questions to fill in the blanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:22 AM

    It's interesting that they got away with leaving the 'heroine' so empty, unless it was just a vehicle for Channing Tatum to show off how stinking cute he is.

    Even without seeing the movie, your review was very helpful for me as a writer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts