Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Call Story

So, I've been sitting on this news for a little over a week now, waiting for the official word...but I now have the official word - in the form of signed & counter-signed contracts and a art request form (for a COVER, I'm going to have a cover!!) - and so I'm officially sharing.


Floopy, that's how I felt immediately following what I'll call the ca-mail. Because I technically got an email, but this is a call story...and if you were a 'Friends' fan, you'll already be picturing Phoebe waving her arms in a circle with her head bobbing side-to-side. If you're not, well, floopy basically means...slightly freaked out, a little bit nervous and happy.

And yet throwing up wouldn't be out of the question.

So, I'm on the phone with two fab ladies from my RWA chapter, finishing up a podcast for an upcoming event - different times, but within about a 5 minute window. We finished up and my iPad bleeped at me to remind me that I had corn ready to harvest in Smurfs Village - because, yanno, Smurfs work trumps real work. I mean, they could starve if I don't feed them - and I noticed that my email icon had a little number 2 on it. So I harvested my corn and put the iPad down to go finish real world work. And then picked it up again, as I do, because I can't not read email.

And inside was a note from MY EDITOR. She loved my book, she thought it was perfect for a new line of romance from Adams Media and would like to offer me a contract. I sold my first book!

Cue hysterical crying jag and a husband who thought someone had died - after the year we've had it wouldn't have been all that surprising. And then a loud cowboy whoop - from him, I was still crying - and a giant bear hug because that's the only kind of hugging he does. And a little more crying from me. And I kept hearing Sally Field in my head saying, 'they like me, they really like me'

As soon as I accepted the offer, my editor - I can say that. I have an editor. Oh my god, I might throw up - emailed the contracts, which I signed with shaky hands and a few more tears. They were fed-exed to her the next morning  and...

I sold my first book. 

That was just over a week ago now. I'm currently waiting on copy-edits, filling out my art sheet for my cover and my first book comes out from the Crimson Romance line at Adams Media - the people who bring us the 'Everything..' series, the 'Cup of Comfort' series and others - in June. JUNE! When things move fast, they really, really move fast.