Some Thursday Inspiration


I've been feeling a lot inspired lately, both with the writing and with life in general, so I've been trying to come up with an inspiring story to blog about today. Alas, everything I came up with was inspiring to me for personal reasons (which wouldn't necessarily be understood by you, dear readers, without pages and pages of explanations). So, I'm stealing inspiration this morning by delving into some famous writers' rejections.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kipling, but you just don't know how to use the English language." Editor of the San Francisco Examiner to Rudyard Kipling.

Classic writer Colette was told in a letter of rejection: "I wouldn't be able to sell 10 copies."

A rejection letter to Pierre Boulle about his "Bridge Over River Kwai" said, "A very bad book."

Jean Auel, author of "The Clan of Cave Bear" was told, "We are very impressed with the depth and scope of your research and the quality of your prose. Nevertheless ... we don't think we could distribute enough copies to satisfy you or ourselves."

"Jonathan Livingston Seagull will never make it as a paperback." From the publisher of a magazine refusing an offer to bid on the paperback rights to Richard Bach's best selling novel. Avon Books eventually bought those rights and sales totaled more than 7.25 million copies.

A rejection for H.G. Wells' "The War of the Worlds" that said, "An endless nightmare. I do not believe it would "take"...I think the verdict would be 'Oh don't read that horrid book'."

Madeleine L'Engle's A WRINKLE IN TIME was turned down 29 times.

Beatrix Potter's THE TALE OF PETER RABBIT was turned down so many times she initially self-published it.

Dr. Seuss got rejection letters, too: "too different from other juveniles on the market to warrant its selling."

Here's a rejection letter for THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK:
"The girl doesn't, it seems to me, have a special perception or feeling which would lift that book above the 'curiosity' level."

Mystery writer Mary Higgins Clark was sending out her manuscript “Journey Back to Love” in the early 1960s: “We found the heroine as boring as her husband did.”

Jacqueline Susann’s “Valley of the Dolls” received this response, “…she is a painfully dull, inept, clumsy, undisciplined, rambling and thoroughly amateurish writer whose every sentence, paragraph and scene cries for the hand of a pro."

An editor once wrote to Emily Dickinson, “(Your poems) are quite as remarkable for defects as for beauties and are generally devoid of true poetical qualities.”

Jack London heard, “(Your book is) forbidding and depressing.”

Ernest Hemingway, regarding his novel, “The Torrents of Spring” was rejected with, “It would be extremely rotten taste, to say nothing of being horribly cruel, should we want to publish it.”

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos
‘Do you realize, young woman, that you’re the first American writer ever to poke fun at sex.’

Carrie by Stephen King: ‘We are not interested in science fiction which deals with negative utopias. They do not sell.’

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov: ‘… overwhelmingly nauseating, even to an enlightened Freudian … the whole thing is an unsure cross between hideous reality and improbable fantasy. It often becomes a wild neurotic daydream … I recommend that it be buried under a stone for a thousand years.’

Hey, they may have stung in the short run, but in the long run these writers certainly proved people wrong - which is why the list inspired me! What inspires you?

Comments

  1. And how many times did J. K. Rowling submit Harry Potter? The mind boggles. Good post, Kristi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Liz! The key is perserverance!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:09 AM

    I believe I feel a whole lot better considering 'extremely rotten taste' and 'horribly cruel' have never been used in any TBNT letter I ever got. :) Thanks, Kristi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me, too, Ayda. I'll take the 'not right for us as this time' any day over some of those!!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9:09 AM

    Great post! And to think if Stephen King's wife hadn't pulled his ms, Carrie, out of the trash can, read it, and told him he had no clue how to write from a woman's perspective and helped him rewrite it, he never would have sold it or become the writer he is today! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I didn't know that part of the story. What rock have I been hiding under?!? Thanks for telling me!

      Delete
  4. Interesting post Kristi! I had heard about Stephen King and even the writer who wrote The Help...and look at both of them now. Amazing isn't it? I guess all things do happen in the right moment and some of those writers moments weren't right then. But some of the comments from pubs or agents are almost comical.

    As for what inspires me...everyday life inspires me. The good with the bad. People, places and things :) I guess I'm surrounded everyday by inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like everyday life inspiration, too, Christine!

      Delete
  5. Wow!
    I'm suddenly feeling very good about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Stephen King's book "On Writing" he said he put a large nail in his wall and each rejection was impaled on the nail. I believe he had to change to an even larger nail because he got so many. LOL! He's laughing all the way to the bank.

    I love reading these inspirational "rejection" stories. It inspires me to keep trying. None of those authors quit and look what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspirational rejection stories have kept me going for a long time -and I'm so glad I didn't give up!!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Thank you for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stories like these are my inspirations. Thank goodness I never got such a horrible rejection!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These inspire me too... I love that some of the best selling books of all time were repeatedly rejected and sometimes nastily...

    Great topic, Kristi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that Carrie was called negative utopia. I'm not even sure what that is or how Carrie would qualify, but I think it's a hoot. Great list and even great inspiration ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that has me scratching my head, too

      Delete
  11. Wow- talk about "inspiration!" lol Just think if any one of these authors had hid these masterpieces "under a rock for a thousand years?" Nice post Kristi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Calisa! I think it would be safe to say that the book world as we know it would be completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, some of those rejections are brutal. I guess I should be happy with my form rejections:) Thanks for the inspiration, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts