5 Questions with Author Lala Corriere!

Hello, lovely readers! So, a few months ago I was invited to a join an online critique group. What I found, in addition to amazing critiques and a ton of writerly information, was a new group of friends. We talk writing, we critique for one another, but we also share our little ups and downs. One of the women from that group is here today. Lala Corriere is warm and friendly - and writes truly mind-scaringly-great books. Welcome, Lala!!

Do you have (or do you aspire to have!) a writing process?

My writing has evolved to where I definitely have an indefinite writing process! I start with a strong plot idea that very well may morph. In fact, I expect it to morph. Next up are my characters. I want to know them intimately, as if I were their mother, their lover, and their teacher, and all at the same time. Every strength. Every weakness. Every nuance that might make them do what they do. I work from an outline, even if sometimes vague. Often I’m writing full scenes before that outline is complete. When I dream of my characters I know I’m onto something.
 
When the writing gets tough, where do you get going?
 
I can honestly say that I rarely get writer’s block. I keep a notepad with me at all times, divided into sections. When I’m at a great people-watching location like a restaurant, the airport, or the beach, I listen. Some call it eavesdropping. If I hear an extraordinary name I write it down under my ‘name’ section. Sometimes I hear entire scenes. Maybe a one liner. Even possible future titles. If I ever do get stuck I open my notebook and get unstuck.
 
What are you listening to right now and does your listening choice influence your writing?

Okay. You asked. Right now—the evening news. How dreadful. Mostly I have my scruples! And a regimen. A steamy love scene brings Bolero. More intimate moments require Ottmar Leibert. Broken hearts and scorned love means Christina Perri, and redemption is Perri’s Bang, Bang, Bang. When moving into unchartered waters of my manuscript it’s Andreas Vollenweider, and finally—when I’m doing my last read-through, it’s Yanni, with no good reason but that he moves me and his violinist is both riveting and mesmerizing at the same time.

Coffee, tea, soda, hot cocoa w/ extra marshmallows  – what's your beverage of choice?

I adore my wines, both a buttery chardonnay and an oaky Cabernet Sauvignon. BUT, I also have a killer non-alcoholic drink that is perfect for our desert summer afternoons. Here’s my recipe for a LALA-RITA: A glass rimmed with salt, and if you can find it use the lime flavored Mexican salt by Trechas called SaLimon Powder. In a blender combine crushed ice, Bacardi margarita mix, and half portions of diet tonic and Fresca. Voila! You have yourself a Lalarita!

Tell us one interesting thing about this book or its characters that didn't make in 'between the covers'?

Do you mean the scenes I nixed? No can tell. I may resurrect them! I can share some secrets from my last release, CoverBoy. I love surprises, especially when my readers think they have it figured out. I love to tie up loose ends. It’s like the best of any puzzle! What don’t readers know about CoverBoy? One of the characters will not survive. And one of the characters has landed the lead role in my next book. I think you’ll like it!

Endorsed by the late Sidney Sheldon
Widow’s Row blurb:    Her father left her a legacy. A legacy of lies.
CoverBoy blurb:          He prays for prey. His prayers have just been answered.

Lauren Visconti loses everyone she loves. They don’t walk out the door. They die. The Lauren Visconti Curse.

Her in-your-face magazine, CoverBoy, might have crossed a few lines. Now it appeared the curse had morphed. Now anyone Lauren had any emotion toward, good or bad, was doomed to be slaughtered.
Success came with the magazine’s dichotomy—photos of almost naked men juxtaposed between serious investigative reporting. Her articles ran true stories. Most readers had heard of sex-slave trafficking. Most didn’t know it occurred in their own backyards. Some readers knew about podiatry mutilations—the hacking off of elongated second toes and even the total amputation of little toes, all in order to fit into the expensive designer shoes. Very few had heard about revirgination.

Both titles are available exclusively on Amazon.
Read with me Read with me and save a tree.™

Buy The Books: Amazon

Comments

  1. Lala, So nice to meet you! I always enjoy learning the process of other writers. I'm sure you're enjoying having Krsti in your critique group - she's very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Lala~
    Your book sounds great!
    I love Inkies...it's a great bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Jenna and D'Ann! I appreciate all of your support!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:06 PM

    Inkies are awesome! Loved the interview! Book sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. Sounds like you're in with a terrific group.

    On a personal note: Those Lalaritas are da bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to both Jennifer and Peg! So happy for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview, Lala! You are so right-on about the process. It's different for every writer (I prefer pinot grigio, just saying), but anyway, the writer has to know those characters, every nuance, every aspect, their history/culture, what made them who they are now, everything. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My apologies for not being a great blog host - have been dealing with a sick toddler today! But I see Lala kept you all in good hands!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Yvonne. I appreciate you finding me here and commenting. Kristina, thanks for the invitation! And the great questions!
    This was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so interesting! And I want to try that drink.

    Good interview as always, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous8:24 AM

    Good to meet you, Lala! Your book sounds fantastic, and a huge thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liz, enjoy my recipe! It's so yummy you forget it doesn't have tequila in it!

    and Ayda, same to you! ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts