Are You A Dream Chaser?

Being a romance author, it probably won't surprise any of you that romantic movies - of the comedy, mystery, suspense and all other varieties - are my favorites. Ryan Gosling? Check! A little silliness? Double-check! Great chemistry - think Kate Hudson & Matthew McConaughey - triple check! But one of my all-time favorite movies is Pretty Woman. It's a movie that has heart - a heroine who is feisty and looking for more, a hero who is severely wounded but won't show it...and it has some great lines.

But probably one of my favorite lines is not from Julia Roberts or Richard Gere. It's from the rasta-dude walking the neighborhood shouting, "Hey! What's your dream? Everybody comes to Hollywood has a dream...." Because we all have dreams. In the movie, I think Viv's dream is just to get out of the bad situation she's been in her entire life - to have someone believe in her. I think Edward wants the same thing - someone to love him and believe in him not because of his money...but because of who he is inside.

We all chase dreams and sometimes we reach our dreams and find out they aren't what we imagined and sometimes we reach them and realize there is more road to be traveled to an even bigger dream.

I realized one of my bigger dreams a few weeks ago when I signed a contract to sell my first book. And I realized another one this week when I saw the cover of my book - and, yeah, got a little teary! - but there are more dreams to chase. Selling Book #2. Getting a great review. Getting fan mail. Selling Book #3. And there are dreams that aren't related to my writing career - seeing my daughter fall in love and live her own happily ever after. Sailing around the world with my personal romantic hero...the list goes on.

I started thinking about dreams not because of my book sale, but because I got more news this week - my niece, who is graduating college next month, just landed her dream job: teaching English to students in France. She's been dreaming of living and working in France since...well, basically birth. We don't know where it comes from, but that dream and drive is there. She visited twice on school trips and was an exchange student last spring. And all of those trips just made her drive to move to France more solid. And it makes me a little teary to think how lucky she is that she has that drive and that she's realizing this one dream so soon...because it opens up a whole new world for her.

So, from Megan and me and for all the other dreamers out there...keep dreaming! Keep working and keep your eyes on that big dream you have. Because we all have dreams, even if we don't live in Hollywood!

So, what's your dream?

Comments

  1. I've had the same dream since I wrote my first manuscript--a movie being made from one of my books. Actually being on a big movie set having them speak the words I wrote. I'm never going to give up on this dream--not until it happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jerri, I *love* your dream...I've wanted - and still want! - the same thing...Good luck to you!!

      Delete
  2. It's so cool that one of your dreams is coming true at the same time as mine....neat as heck. One of my dreams is to own a cattle ranch...don't think that one is coming true unless I win mega-millions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...or until you're a fantabulous best-selling author on the NYT or USAToday Best-Sellers list. Which isn't far away, I say!

      PS: As long as I've known you this has been one of your dreams...so keep pushing toward it!

      Delete
  3. Back I go to my advanced age , but dreaming is one of the best, BEST parts of life, and changing the dreams up, down, or sideways can sometimes make them come true in cool ways you never thought of. Giving them up? Not even an option. So, I'll come visit you on that ranch, D'Ann, and I hope you enjoy your sail, Kristi, no matter where it takes you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and where shall I visit you, Liz? :) I agree - dreams come in all shapes and forms and (I think) some of the sweetest come in packages you never imagined they would come in.

      Delete
  4. Kristina, you are so right - sometimes having your dreams come true is just the start of the adventure! I've had such a wonderful life so far. I've had so many dreams come true and then found they were just the (sometimes slippery) stepping stones to something else. Yes, indeed - be careful what you wish for! I think the key is to keep dreaming and keep working toward those dreams.

    I'm so glad your dreams are coming true. Dreams I am working on right now include Book #2 and the leisure to start traveling again. One of my 'bucket list' destinations is Machu Picchu. Hopefully I'll get there before I'm so old they have to carry me up the mountain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, I would *love* to see Machu Picchu! Traveling is definitely on my list - I want to see Ireland, the Greek islands, Australia, Victoria Falls, anywhere in the South Pacific...

      Delete
  5. I love Pretty Woman! Your post makes me want to watch it now. My dream is to keep publishing, to earn enough to quit the day job and to hit the NYT or USA Today best seller list.

    Someday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are on my list, too, Sharon! And I think I'm breaking out Pretty Woman tonight!

      Delete
  6. My "other" dream is to contribute enough to our finances so my husband has the choice to retire or, at the very least, the option to take it easier.

    Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheri! Isn't that the truth?

      Delete
  7. Kristi--great post. My dream is to get published and eventually make enough money that I could write full-time. The other one is to take an extended Europe vacation. And your niece--what a story. Maybe you can go visit her sometime :) Live my dream. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mat just do that, Margie! She will be near the Loire Valley - one of my favorite areas.

      Bix has a great shot, I think, it's a great story.

      Delete
  8. Sharon, Margie, and I have the same dream. Being able to quit the day job and write full time. And a week in Bora Bora wouldn't hurt! My favorite movie is Serendipity. I always sigh at the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serenity is another favorite of mine, Shawn! And I'm thankful every day that I can write full time - even tho I still divide time between nonfiction and fiction.

      Delete
  9. Love this post, Kristi. Not only following your dreams, but picturing them in crystal Lear focus helps as well. Like you, I'm living one of my dreams now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! Isn't this an exciting time?

      Delete
  10. Kristi, you had me at the Richard Gere eye-candy bit. And last night I curled up with my DH and watched Ryan Gosling in the movie Fracture. He's a star on the rise, that's for sure. I used to dream of being a movie star when I was little, but these days I'm happy just to watch them - and wonder which gorgeous hunk will play the part of my hero when my book gets made into one. Well, you did say this post was about dreaming, didn't you? Congratulations on your your book sale - that must an awesome dream come true! Cheers - Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts