Tasty Tuesday: Slow Cooker Chicken Soup

We've been making this recipe in my family for a lot of years. My mom created it first, and we call it Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo - but since it's 1) not spicy and 2) doesn't have rice and 3) doesn't have sausage or other Cajun stuff I thought I'd just re-name it for this blog. Don't wanna be falsely advertising ya know!

I love this because I can throw the ingredients in a crock pot in the morning and by dinner the whole house smells mucho-yummy! Try it on a rainy day - I think you'll love it!


Ingredients:
1 can of chicken broth
1 can cream of celery soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
4-5 stalks of celery, chopped up
4-5 large carrots, chopped up
1 onion, chopped up (this isn't mandatory, if you don't like onion don't include it)
4-5 chicken breasts, shredded (if you prefer dark meat, use thighs instead)
1 handful of Angel Hair pasta, broken up

Directions: Bake the chicken at 350 for 1 hour, allow to cool - you could even bake the chicken the day before, if you have a super busy day planned. Once cooled, shred up the chicken. NOTE: You can leave the skin on or take it off. Either way works. Toss the soups, celery, carrots and onion in a crock pot and stir. Add the shredded up chicken. NOTE #2: if it doesn't look like you have enough pasta, add a bit more. Put the crock pot on low if you're slow-cooking all day, on high if you only have 3 or so hours, put the lid on the crock pot and forget it.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:47 AM

    Mmm, sounds delicious! I'm definitely trying this one. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...sounds easy and good and most of the time I have all those ingredients on hand. Thanks for sharing...might have to make this sometime during the week! (But I might be naughty and throw in some rice in lieu of the pasta to shake things up...lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, don't let me hold you back - add in some chorizo, too, and you'll really get the gumbo going, Christine! :)

      Delete
  3. Kristi~
    I can smell it from here, and I think I can actually make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can definitely make this one, D'Ann!

      Delete
  4. Everything but the chicken sounds great since I'm Vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to think of something you could sub for the chicken, Jerri, hmmm....

      Delete
  5. I'm going to try this tomorrow. I love any kind of soup and this one has everything I love in it. veggies and chicken.
    Thanks for the share!
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy, Lynda. And yummy. Did I say yummy?

      Delete
  6. Hi, Kristina. Am I glad you shared this recipe! I needed something quick and delicious for tonight's dinner. Headed to the grocery for chicken now. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carol. Hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  7. This sounds delicious! Going to try this out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds yummy, Krisit. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, Jenna...may have to bring some to brainstorming this fall - perfect for a cooler day!!

      Delete
  9. Anonymous3:02 PM

    Yummy and easy! My kind of recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Jennifer! Let me know how you like it! ;)

      Delete
  10. My mouth is watering, Kristi. But alas, my husband and daughters have embraced a vegetarian diet and the chances of me ever cooking chicken for them again are zilch. Most of the time I eat what they eat, but every so often I break out and buy myself a big juicy steak. Now I'm thinking that your chicken recipe might get a turn as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for them - I know vegetarian diets can be very healthy. Hope you get to try this some time.

      Delete
  11. This looks easy and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heart my Crock Pot. I don't know what I'd do without it. This recipe sounds awesome. I'm going to have to try it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like chicken soup all year around. This is great!
    Thanks for the recipe.
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts