The Things We Learn

My friend Moriah Densley blogs now and again about the crazy things her kids say and do, and her posts are always an 'ah-ha' moment of 'thank God I'm not the only one' for me. This week was picture week at bebe's pre-school. And I was reminded - yet again - how out of my depth I am a lot of the time as a girly-girl pre-school mom.

we call this the 'veil style', usually put beads at the Xs
Let me first say that, although I write romance novels and many of my heroines are smart and savvy and up-to-date on the designers of the moment....I'm so not. I've never been a girly-girl. Yes, I have a slightly-above-average shoe fetish and yes I probably own too many dresses. But my favorite outfits include track pants, jeans and tees. bebe? No, she is a girly-girl. She wants dresses and crowns and painted nails and her hair done just so and...every.single.day.

So, when I realized at 8:15 Wednesday morning that it was picture day - and we had to leave for school in 15 minutes, I knew there would be trouble. Threw bebe in the shower, did the fastest wash routine - like ever - and made sure her hair was nicely wetted down. Ran with her down the hall and into her room where every flippin' outfit I chose was 'not right, Mommy', 'no, I don't have the right shoes, Mommy' or 'it's not pink enough, Mommy'. bebe was finally satisfied settled for a way too cute pink-and-white plaid dress and the glittery-est pink shoes she owns and we were off. Oh! But I forgot her hair and, bebe being African-American means we can't just comb-and-go. No. There was de-tangling to be done and she wanted braids (only there was no time, bad mommy) so she wanted a veil-style with twists (only, again, no time, even badder mommy) and so she settled for 3 puff-balls after a lot of 'but we'll make them loose-and-free' cajoling from me - (In our house, loose-and-free means un-twisted, so very curly but gathered in 3 different ballies). Five minutes of de-tangling, conditioning and we were set.
an example of '3 balls'

And we got to school with a whole two minutes left.

Knowing how girly bebe is, I'm usually much more prepared - clothes laid out, hair done the night before. It's been a crazy week, though, and we haven't 'done' a big style. But lesson learned - always laying clothes out the night before. And no more laziness on hair day - there will be a style! In other words: Prepare! Always prepare!

One of our recent conversations:

bebe: Mommy, when are you going to be a girl?
Me: I am a girl, bebe, all the time.
bebe: No, girls wear dresses, Mommy.
Me: I wear dresses. Sometimes (muttering).
bebe: Girls wear dresses all the time, Mommy.

What have you learned from your kids? Or another unexpected source?

Comments

  1. What a darling story. I can so relate! I don't have a girly-girl, although she's addicted to Hunger Games nail polish! I have one with very think curly hair but I don't have any hair fixing skills. :(
    And, I've had times where I've forgotten it was picture day at all. Sigh.
    Thanks for a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had no choice but to learn, Cathy, and curly hair is not easy! Hunger Games nail polish? If bebe were a little older she'd be hooked. As it is, we're stuck on Strawberry Shortcake polish (because it smells good)! Thanks for coming by today!

      Delete
  2. OMG Kristina--that was so funny!

    I've had plenty of "mommy moments," in fact I had one just this morning as TG said, "I think I am off school tomorrow..." I had completely forgotten! (Glad she reminded me! LOL)

    She used to be a "girly girl" but now is more of a tom-boy with girl accents! (Hair, accessories and nail polish!)

    Thanx for the smile! :)

    ~Jane~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I can smile about it now, but in the drama of the moment...I was stressed!

      I don't think I was ever a girly-girl, so I have no idea where she gets this from. And as fun as it is, a lot of the time I'm in over my head!

      Thanks for coming by today!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8:41 AM

    Aw, what a sweet story, Kristina! Thanks for sharing that :) I think my kids teach me something new every day. Love 'em so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could hug her all day every day, it wouldn't be enough, Jennifer...

      Delete
  4. Anonymous8:47 AM

    Such a cute story! I remember hectic picture mornings well!

    I sometimes wonder if my kids haven't taught me waaay more than I've taught them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I knew *a LOT* pre-bebe, Ayda...Now I know how much I didn't know... ;)

      Delete
  5. I don't have a girly-girl, mine is a "tough" (his favorite adjective) boy. However, he's very particular with his hair. He likes it to be short and "spiky," whereas I like it longish. He also likes to wear jeans all the time and we have heated discussions in the mornings I try to get him to hear track-suit pants or shorts. I often lose! The day before picture day however, he hit his head and we spent the afternoon and part of the evening on the E.R. (he's okay!) So, this year there was no spiky hair and he was exhausted. Perhaps, it will be one of those pictures he'll dread me showing to people in the future, but I know he'll look as handsome and "tough" as ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, your son sounds very fun, Denyse! I didn't know boys could be that particular...maybe I'll count my blessings that bebe is a girl - not sure I could handle *boy* drama!

      Delete
  6. Sweet! The bebes teach so much. I'm older--the bebe is about to turn 28. But I remember the morning I threw out all the color-coordinated socks because arguing over the various shades of pink (fuchsia, salmon, pastel) was too much added stress. Now the bebe is an artist and knows her colors so well that she picks mine for me.

    When you're a writer, it's all material!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Chris! Fodder for stories - although the names will be changed to protect the innocent. LOL. Thanks for stopping in today!

      Delete
    2. Chris - Now its "uncool" to color code your socks. LOL. I have an 18 year old and a 12 year old girl and they deliberately wear different color socks. It makes my life much easier!

      Delete
  7. What a cute story! Thanks for sharing that! I can't think this early in the morning what I learned from my son-I'm sure something! lol. But, mostly the morning stresses came from 'his' procrastination. He had a habit of telling me what he needed for school at the last minute. He's 23 now and three weeks away from graduating from college. I'm still having to remind him, "Get our tickets for the ceremony!"

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, college graduation! I'll bet you're a little teary mixed in with the proud, Darcy! Procrastination is something I've always struggled with..speaking of, I have a load of towels in the dryer that I haven't folded...they've been in there 4 days. Better get back to Mommy Duty!

      Delete
  8. Sweet story!

    My daughter is the exact opposite of hers. I had to hold her down when she was little to make her wear a dress. Still, she doesn't like them. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days I dream she will wake up and just throwing on a pair of jeans and a tee will be okay. Alas, most days when I pull out jeans/tees, I get 'hey, those are *boy* clothes' comments, D'Ann...

      Delete
  9. What have I learned from my kids. Well...
    -That you don't have to match your socks because its cooler to wear them unmatched.

    -What LOL and BRB and all those other terms mean.

    -I've discovered some of my favorite songs from my kids

    -Phineas and Ferb. We all love Phineas and Ferb!

    -That even though you want to wade into the fray and yank them out because someone's being mean to them, you can't.

    -That BECAUSE you didn't yank them out of the fray because someone was being mean to them, they're better people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all these, Sharon...except Phineas and Ferb. Actually, I do like the show. bebe doesn't - because it's not girly. Yeesh!!

      So true on pulling them out of the fray - we haven't had any big issues...yet.

      Delete
  10. I had a girly-girl and a tom-boy. And I can relate to the curly hair stress. I was so glad when they were able to do their own hair. Now I get to laugh at my daughter when she complains about granddaughters antics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shawn, I *dream* of the day bebe can do her own hair. We're actually considering sister locks...once she's at the age where she won't fiddle with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. After reading this, I'll bend two knees and give thanks that I had boys. And not city boys -- cowboys. They wear Wranglers, button-ups or tshirts, and boots. They do all their shopping in one store and we're out of there in 30 min. Case closed. Once upon a time I wished we had a girl. The more I hear of stories like yours (primping and disagreeing of what to wear), that wish has melted away. I remember when I was little, my mom put my long hair in twin braids every day. I realized why when I got older.

    Thanks for sharing your funny story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as it's frustrating at time, I really do love it. And her! ;) But we could spend 45 minutes in the toddler-girls section and she'd still be comparing - that's the funniest thing. Most of my mom-friends swear their girls just point and grab. bebe points and pets and compares colors ... as long as we're not in a hurry, it's FUNNY!

      Delete
  13. I love this story! And she is so beautiful, no matter how bad-mommy you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, thanks, Liz! She is gorgeous - I didn't have anything to do with that! - but she's also beautiful on the side. And I *did* have something to do with that! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts