Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Welcome Rachel Brimble!


Rachel Brimble (L) with Jodi Picoult
Hey, blog readers! So my guest is a new friend, Rachel Brimble. We met online - in the only place people meet nowadays, Facebook! She's a funny lady who writes wickedly good books, and she's here today to answer 5 simple questions. On with the interview!




Kristina: Do you have (or do you aspire to have!) a writing process?

Rachel: Yes, I do! When I’m starting a new book or story, I usually have a premise or maybe a problem the hero or heroine has to deal with. I then write a two to three page synopsis so that I have a clear outline of the entire plot in my head.
Then comes an in-depth character sketch for both my hero and heroine. This always brings through the plot conflict and romantic conflict.
Once the characters are established in my head, I write the entire first draft from start to finish – draft two is where the hard work comes in!

 Kristina: When the writing gets tough, where do you get going?

 Rachel: I stick my butt in the chair and go nowhere, lol! I don’t believe in writer’s block. The answer is there you just have to find it. I keep writing and see what happens. If I don’t like it or it’s not working, I cut it – more often than not, something you thought was really bad looks a lot better when you go back a few days later and re-read.

Writing is always tough – that’s why everyone else isn’t mad enough to do it!


Kristina: What are you listening to right now and does your listening choice influence your writing?

Rachel: I listen to all sorts of music but I’m a complete ‘80s girl at heart so that’s what I tend to stick on the iPod to relax. Everything from rock to ballads, I love it all. Oh, I have quite a soft spot for Lady Antebellum right now too J

My music choices don’t really have any bearing on my writing. I’ve used music twice in all the years I’ve been writing. Once for a scene in The Arrival of Lily Curtis when they waltz in the manor grounds and once in Transatlantic Loving when they attend a Class of ’85 reunion dance.

Kristina: Coffee, tea, soda, hot cocoa w/ extra marshmallows  – what's your beverage of choice?
   
Rachel: Coffee with lots of hot milk by day and crisp white wine by night. Hmm…and it’s just creeping into evening here in the UK right now J

Kristina: Tell us one interesting thing about this book or its characters that didn't make in 'between the covers'?

Rachel: This book was originally planned as a romantic suspense and the scene when the hero and heroine meet was entirely different. The heroine was originally being attacked and very close to being killed but I changed the parking lot scene to something else entirely…

Paying The Piper is Rachel’s latest contemporary release and available now from Lyrical Press. Here’s the blurb:

Nightclub manager, Grace Butler is on a mission to buy the pub where her mother’s ashes are scattered – except the vendor wants to sell to anyone but her. And the vendor happens to be her father…with a secret Grace will do anything to uncover.

Social worker and all-round good guy, Jimmy Betts needs cash to buy a house for three special kids before their care home closes. In a desperate bid for cash, he agrees to a one-time ‘job’ for bad-man Karl Butler. But in a sudden turn of events, Jimmy finds himself employed by Karl’s beautiful, funny and incredibly sexy daughter, Grace.

Their lives are so different except for one unifying thread – they are both trying to escape the binds of their tyrannical fathers. But is the key to their liberty each other?



Buy the Book:

http://www.lyricalpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_25&products_id=424

Find Rachel here:

http://www.rachelbrimble.com/
http://rachelbrimble.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachel-Brimble/181873201887441
Twitter: @rachelbrimble



Find Rachel here:

Twitter: @rachelbrimble