Welcome Rachel Brimble!


Rachel Brimble (L) with Jodi Picoult
Hey, blog readers! So my guest is a new friend, Rachel Brimble. We met online - in the only place people meet nowadays, Facebook! She's a funny lady who writes wickedly good books, and she's here today to answer 5 simple questions. On with the interview!




Kristina: Do you have (or do you aspire to have!) a writing process?

Rachel: Yes, I do! When I’m starting a new book or story, I usually have a premise or maybe a problem the hero or heroine has to deal with. I then write a two to three page synopsis so that I have a clear outline of the entire plot in my head.
Then comes an in-depth character sketch for both my hero and heroine. This always brings through the plot conflict and romantic conflict.
Once the characters are established in my head, I write the entire first draft from start to finish – draft two is where the hard work comes in!

 Kristina: When the writing gets tough, where do you get going?

 Rachel: I stick my butt in the chair and go nowhere, lol! I don’t believe in writer’s block. The answer is there you just have to find it. I keep writing and see what happens. If I don’t like it or it’s not working, I cut it – more often than not, something you thought was really bad looks a lot better when you go back a few days later and re-read.

Writing is always tough – that’s why everyone else isn’t mad enough to do it!


Kristina: What are you listening to right now and does your listening choice influence your writing?

Rachel: I listen to all sorts of music but I’m a complete ‘80s girl at heart so that’s what I tend to stick on the iPod to relax. Everything from rock to ballads, I love it all. Oh, I have quite a soft spot for Lady Antebellum right now too J

My music choices don’t really have any bearing on my writing. I’ve used music twice in all the years I’ve been writing. Once for a scene in The Arrival of Lily Curtis when they waltz in the manor grounds and once in Transatlantic Loving when they attend a Class of ’85 reunion dance.

Kristina: Coffee, tea, soda, hot cocoa w/ extra marshmallows  – what's your beverage of choice?
   
Rachel: Coffee with lots of hot milk by day and crisp white wine by night. Hmm…and it’s just creeping into evening here in the UK right now J

Kristina: Tell us one interesting thing about this book or its characters that didn't make in 'between the covers'?

Rachel: This book was originally planned as a romantic suspense and the scene when the hero and heroine meet was entirely different. The heroine was originally being attacked and very close to being killed but I changed the parking lot scene to something else entirely…

Paying The Piper is Rachel’s latest contemporary release and available now from Lyrical Press. Here’s the blurb:

Nightclub manager, Grace Butler is on a mission to buy the pub where her mother’s ashes are scattered – except the vendor wants to sell to anyone but her. And the vendor happens to be her father…with a secret Grace will do anything to uncover.

Social worker and all-round good guy, Jimmy Betts needs cash to buy a house for three special kids before their care home closes. In a desperate bid for cash, he agrees to a one-time ‘job’ for bad-man Karl Butler. But in a sudden turn of events, Jimmy finds himself employed by Karl’s beautiful, funny and incredibly sexy daughter, Grace.

Their lives are so different except for one unifying thread – they are both trying to escape the binds of their tyrannical fathers. But is the key to their liberty each other?



Buy the Book:

http://www.lyricalpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_25&products_id=424

Find Rachel here:

http://www.rachelbrimble.com/
http://rachelbrimble.blogspot.co.uk/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rachel-Brimble/181873201887441
Twitter: @rachelbrimble



Find Rachel here:

Twitter: @rachelbrimble

Comments

  1. Welcome to the blog, Rachel! Love your advice to keep the butt-in-chair; sometimes I take a short break - like an afternoon - to let things percolate but I can never stay away from a story for long. That blurb sounds fab - good luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rachel. Nice to see you here at my buddy Kristi's house! I admire your methods (and your drinks of choice) and obviously they're working out. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the interview and Rachel you're cover is awesome! I love that you don't believe in writer's block and just work your way through it...very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the wine and writer's block. Keeping your butt in the chair is working for you! It's too early for wine here. I'll have to wait until after breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:06 PM

    Wonderful interview! Your book sounds fun to read! I like your attitude towards writing and writer's block! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wine always loosens up my creative muse! Great to *meet* you, Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cait OSullivan1:24 PM

    Congratulations on the book, Rachel and lovely interview too. I'm in the UK too and it sure is nearing 'popping the wine' o'clock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rachel. I'm a sucker for covers and yours drew me in. You've got a winner here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristina and all you lovely ladies - I AM SO SORRY!!! I put a reminder in my diary that I was here yesterday and then promptly forgot again. What a numb head!!

    Thanks for all the compliments about the book cover - Renee Rocco is the artist at Lyrical Press. She also designed the cover for my other Lyrical release Getting It Right This Time. Happy girlie!

    Hmm...it seems wine is the way to go for us writers. Well, you're not going to see me arguing about that, lol!

    I will be here all day to answer questions - so sorry I am so unforgivably late... :(

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kristina!!! Hi Sister Rose, Rachel!!! Great interview ladies.

    I know Kristina plots things to a degree, but to get everything down before you begin? I'm impressed, Rachel. I try to plot, write out a synopsis to guide me along. I never stick to it and my characters often go off in different directions altogether. In the end I usually end up starting fresh and letting them lead the way. lol I tried to character sketch twice and it just didn't work for me. You claim it exposes conflicts and such, but that doesn't happen for me. I must be doing something wrong! :)

    I' will read Piper's Fury one day. Maybe I'll get to it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Calisa - Or you could read Paying the Piper...? What is Piper's Fury? Or is that an indication of how you're feeling at the moment??

    Great to see you here, lovely lady - and great to see so many fab reviews for 'Home' :)

    Rachel x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts