5 Questions with Author Elizabeth Meyette!

Hiya, readers! It's my pleasure to introduce you to one of my Crimson Romance sisters today. Elizabeth Meyette writes emotional Historical romances - with a twist. Welcome, Elizabeth!!

Hi, Kristina. Thanks so much for inviting me to be on your blog today.  It’s always fun to chat with another Crimson Romance author.

Kristina: M&Ms, Chips 'n Dip, Jell-O Shots…what's your snack of choice when you're on deadline?

Elizabeth: Well, Kristina, I think any one of those would work. I like to combine M&M’s, almonds and raisins and snack on that.  I figure I’ve hit every major food group that way since M&M’s are from cocoa beans, beans are a vegetable, right? So there’s the food pyramid: vegetable, protein and fruit. I’m a very healthy writer.

Kristina: What's your favorite non-word (as in a word we've bastardized or completely made up) and why?

Elizabeth: The first thing I can think of is “lip-blam”. My youngest, Kate, is a bit dyslexic, and when she was about seven years old, as she was rummaging through her Christmas stocking, she yelled, “Oh look! I got some lip-blam!”  We all cracked up and now our whole family calls Chapstick “lip-blam”.  That probably won’t make it into one of my historicals LOL.

Kristina: That's hilarious! I can hear it now!! When the writing gets tough, who do you lean on?

Elizabeth: Absolutely my husband, Rich.  He is the most laid back man I have ever known, and one of his pet phrases is, “It will be what it will be.”  Now, he never says that when I’m in a writing slump because besides being laid back, he is very wise.  But his philosophy of “just let things happen as they will” helps diffuse my Type A “I must be perfect and do this perfectly right now” mania.  A back rub always helps…and often inspires.

Kristina: Finish this sentence: For me, writing is like ______________

Elizabeth: being hypnotized…at least what I suppose being hypnotized would be like.  I sometimes go into a trance-like state, and I become so focused that Rich could completely rearrange the furniture around me and I wouldn’t notice until I stopped writing. And I love writing so much that I guess I sometimes feel like it’s more a guilty pleasure than work.  That is on the good days, however, when my D.A.M. inspiration (Divine Attendant Muse) is working at full capacity.  On other days when she withholds her inspiration, it’s a bit like having all of my teeth pulled…

Kristina: Tell us one interesting/funny/crazy thing about this book or its characters that didn't make in 'between the covers'?

Elizabeth: The original first sentence.  It was full of alliteration and read like a Transcendentalist’s/Romanticist’s poem. I read an article in Writer’s Digest about things that turn agents off, and one was an opening that tried too hard to impress. While that was not my intention when I wrote it, I could see how it would appear that way to an agent.  Here is the sentence: “Shafts of sunlight slanted through the leaded windows casting crystal shards of light across the carpet. The brilliance of the day was in sharp contrast to the mood of the girl who sat brooding, blind to its brilliance.” I changed it to: “Emily Wentworth waged a battle between grief and anger.  Today grief was winning.” I think it was a wise decision since Jennifer Lawler decided Love’s Destiny would be a good choice the Crimson Romance line.

Kristina: Oh, the original first sentence reminds me of some openers from my college lit class! Love them both, by the way.. ;)

Elizabeth: This has been so much fun, Kristina!  Congratulations on your success with What a Texas Girl Wants, and thanks for letting me talk about Love’s Destiny. Here is some information about my book and where to order it:

Love's Destiny:
The simmering rebellion in the American colonies is the backdrop for this smoldering romance thwarted by a dying father’s wish and opposing loyalties.  When Jonathon Brentwood becomes the guardian of Emily Wentworth, each expects to meet someone very different. Emily is not the child of her father’s stories, nor is Jonathon feeble and old as she had imagined. Instantly attracted, both try to honor George Wentworth’s dying wish and maintain the relationship he envisioned.  Though passion overcomes them, their pasts and the future of a young country stand in the way of their destiny.

Love’s Destiny was released by Crimson Romance on June 4, 2012 and is available at:
Amazon.com
Barnes & Noble
iTunes

Comments

  1. Great interview, ladies! Loved getting to know you better, Elizabeth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Elizabeth! Thanks for coming by today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun interview! Your questions were great. Thanks for inviting me, Kristina :-)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this article. Yes, writing is a guilty pleasure. Most of us do our best work when we're in "the zone," and totally block out the kids, spouse, pets, phone and other distractions. Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once Rich came in for lunch and I said, "I'll have lunch ready in a minute." The next thing I knew he was laughing and putting my lunch in front of me!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Great interview! Not your standard questions, but they really did a good job of offering us a look into Elizabeth's life and writing. I might have been hard-pressed to come up with answers to a few of those questions, but Elizabeth's answers were candid and fresh. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, good luck with your book. I like you choice of snacks also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marian. I like to eat healthy LOL

      Delete
  6. Ah, Betty, you are my kindred soul! I also get hypnotized when I write. I just read this blog post to my husband and he laughed out loud, because he has said to me "What will be will be."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like our husbands are kindred souls too, Deborah!

      Delete
  7. Great interview ladies. Congrats and good luck Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Calisa....what a beautiful name!

      Delete
  8. You're very funny! Love the Lip-Blam! Isn't it funny how things like make a family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "family jokes". And, of course, we all get lip-blam in our stockings every year :-)

      Delete
  9. What a great interview! I never knew M&M's could be classified as a food group. Woot!!!

    Seriously, I took away a lot more than that. For starters, Elizabeth I've already bought your book and have it on my Kindle TBR file. ;) Now I'm dying to read it! Love the comment about the first line of your book too. I've been told the same thing. And guess what? I didn't change it. (Hope that doesn't go against me.)

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE stories about the colonies!!! Don't see as many as I prefer to nowadays. Woot! Can't wait to see what happens between Emily and Jonathon!!!

    Oh, and best wishes for the greatest success!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine! I hope you enjoy Love's Destiny, and if you like colonies, I am writing the sequel, Love's Spirit.

      Delete
  10. Geez... I sound like a cheerleader pumped up on valium. Should've had toned it down a notch but can't help getting inspired when I see a good story. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love alliteration... and I laughed and loved you nixed first sentence. Don't we all have a few of those in the skeletal closet? Great interview, Betty. You always make me laugh! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. You are always so supportive!

      Delete
  12. Wow - those two opening sentences are so completely different! I think you made a good choice for the first line - the first one is beautiful, but I think I would appreciate it more further into the book.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hidegarde. Actually you will see a modified version of that sentence in my sequel, Love's Spirit.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous11:21 PM

    Sure enjoyed your interview. I love snacking on a trail mix of nuts and M&M's and raisins. Of course just about any junk food will do and who needs a deadline to indulge! I'm looking forward to reading Love's Destiny! Best wishes with it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts