Are You Watching?

I'm a people watcher. Have been all my life. I like finding little quirks in people that maybe they don't realize they have. For a long time I just watched (I know, makes me sound like a stalker. I'm not) and filed the information away. Had no idea why.

And then I realized I was a writer. Not just a non-fiction journalist, but a real writer. All these character bumps and weird habits I'd filed away? Yep, in my subconscious, fictional characters were forming with these same habits. Now that I know what my brain was doing all along, I'm a little more descriptive in my people watching. I usually have a notebook handy and if something at the mall or a harvest festival or whatever catches my attention, I'll jot down a few notes. Not just 'lady picking nailpolish' but 'lady in a red dress, county fair, desperate for attention, looks bored but very aware'. To anyone else, my notes probably read like an investigator's report. And that's fine with me. 

As I was writing What a Texas Girl Wants, which is my first published book, I realized that a couple of 'real life' people - or at least a couple of mannerisms - made the pages, and I think that makes the book come to life a little bit more. Because you may not have seen that same person, but maybe you've seen someone else picking at nail polish or twirling her hair just so or slinking along the way because they're more comfortable out of the spotlight. People watching, I've found can be very beneficial...and I can't wait to use Ms. Red Dress in the story. Some day.

What's the strangest, most interesting or flat-out-weirdest thing you've seen while people watching?

In the meantime, thought I'd share poem with y'all, shared with me by a new writing friend....all about people watching.

The Thief
by Nance Hill

Beyond your perception, I'm full of deception;
from you, I will loot, filch and forage,
I'll approach with a smile, and steal all the while;
The stash goes in notebooks for storage.

I'll pilfer your grin, or the last place you've been,
or your habit of slapping your knees,
the puns that you sprinkle, your lips as they crinkle;
Whatever I fancy, I'll seize.

Perhaps I'll abscond with a faux pas you've spawned,
or a client you met on the job,
your wild-patterned tie, the half-tear in your eye;
With a swipe of the pen, I will rob.

Then I'll gather my plunder and rend it asunder,
revise 'til there's only a hint.
You won't know what I've taken until you're quite shaken
to see that I fenced it in print.

Comments

  1. Cool post and great poem. Watching people is my very favorite (maybe the only favorite?) part of going to the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the poem! I don't really people watch. I probably should though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, the airport! You can spy some pretty cool stuff there! Thanks for stopping by Liz!

    Margery, glad you liked the poem...come visit me, I'll teach you the ropes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:06 AM

    I face watch, a lot. Try to figure out what they are talking about. It's fun, but I do it mostly to try and capture their expressions on paper.
    Fun post,
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem!

    I'm very introverted, so I mostly keep my eyes on the floor or inanimate objects. It creeps me out to think people might be watching me, so I don't watch them if I can help it. Occasionally, and I notice it particularly in restaurants, sometimes a certain person will catch my eye and I can't help watching them. I don't know why that is, but my gaze always snaps back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to people watch, Kristina. I think I got too busy. I must do that more.
    Thanks for the post,
    R.T. Wolfe
    www.rtwolfe.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love expressions, Neecy...you can tell a lot from expressions!

    Allison, watching people is kind of surreal..I always wonder if they're watching me back...that does get a little creepy. But it's a habit I can't seem to break!

    Thanks for coming by RT! I don't even notice I'm doing it sometimes...then an idea will spark and I'm off and running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE people watching! Allie, I would freak you out b/c I just love seeing what people are doing. My job gives me lots of opps for it, too.
    Cant' think of a super weird thing right now, but it's all kind of strange when you're in retail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The People of WalMart (or Targay), right, D'Ann? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watching people is interesting and enlightening. But there's a fine line between watching and staring. I try not to cross that line, but I'm pretty certain I have! The most interesting person I ever saw was when I was about eight shopping at a department store in Vancouver, BC. This old lady raced from ashtry to ashtray, picking up cigarette butts, peeling off the papers and eating the tobacco. Then she would say something in a different language or just gibberish--I don't know--and head off to another ashtray. I was abhorred yet fascinated. I discretely followed her just to watch. I realize now she was probably a homeless woman. Poor dear would have passed on by now. I hope she found peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love watching people too. You certainly can get a lot of interesting character quirks or habits to use in a story.

    Fun post Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Who was it that said that writers are magpies? It's true, I'm always storing away interesting phrases, snatches of conversation, interesting mannerisms. And yep, they wind up in my nest (okay, I shamelessly exploit those shiny bits into pieces of my book).

    Carol - that is a *crazy* people-watching experience!

    I have a people-watching doozie. Well, I'm not really sure it counts as people-watching. . . .but here goes.

    Many years ago Dream Man and I owned a business in the club district in downtown office (and yeah, I suppose I could come up with quite a few stories from *that*). After close one night, we were standing out front and happened to notice a light come on upstairs in the office building across the street. It was a frosted window, so we couldn't actually see a person, but we could see a *very* clear silhouette. . . .of a rotund gentleman using the toilet. (Sit...Wait...Wipe...Examine...(ROTFL)..Wait...Wipe).

    Let's just say I am very careful of windows at night now.

    Great topic - Kristi - and happy people watching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carol, I'm *positive* I've crossed that line. I try not to but sometimes.....And that is one crazy experience! I've never seen anything even *close* to that!

    Christine, thanks for coming by!!

    Bahaha, Irene, that would make me *never* look in another window!! I'm shameless. And the names *are* changed to protect the innocent. Heck, most of the time I don't even know the people who catch my eye!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a huge people watcher. So is my husband. We love to sit on park benches and just watch and watch. Once he and I were out having dinner. We like to sit at the bar because that's where all the action is and where the best people watching is. There was a couple sitting next to us and we quickly determined they were on a first date.

    It seemed to be going well then suddenly he mentioned his wife and oh boy! She told him off and he left then she proceeded to get drunk and tell the bartender all about it. Since we were sitting next to her we heard the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's classic, Sharon! I love that you watch together; my DH isn't a people watcher...although he likes it when I point out the brewing fights. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband I love to people watch while on vacation. Last time we were in Vegas, we decided to sit outside our hotel and people watch. There were street performers and vendors. Two girls walked up to me and paid me twenty bucks to tape her and her friend dancing in the sidewalk. Okay it was weird and they were hilarious. Sad part is, they weren't trying to be funny. They thought they were dancing beautifully. I spent my twenty dollars in the slots.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think people watching in Wal-Mart wins hands down. "What Not to Wear" should tape there. What are they thinking to leave the house wearing that? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love watching the street performers - and the *reactions* to the street performers - when we visit Vegas. Priceless!!

    LOL, Shay!! The people of Walmart...slay me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post! I loved the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The mall is a great place to people watch. I'm just glad we have the excuse that we're observing for writing purposes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts