The Writer's 10 Commandments

...a friend sent me to a link, recently, that made me smile, gave me a lightbulb moment and made me want to share it all with you. Roni Loren is a fabulous writer, and she's written The 10 Commandments of a Successful Author. You can learn more about Roni and her books here. With her permission, I'm reprinting the 10 for you all today...

The Ten Commandments of a Successful Author
By Roni Loren

1. I will always strive to make the next book better than the last.
 This is one that keeps me awake at night sometimes. The desire to make this next book better than the first one, to improve on every new project. We put so much effort into THAT book, you know the one to get the agent and the book deal. It's the best we have to give on a page. Then the dream happens and you're faced with book two and oh, you have a time limit this time, and oh if this one tanks, there may not be another book deal. *breathes into paper bag* The best authors out there manage to do this, even on tight deadlines, even when the check is already in the bank. They keep topping their own work.

2. I will not fear risk.
 It's tempting to be safe, to stick to what you know and what you know works. But the best authors don't just put out book after book that follows the same formula. They take risks, they push boundaries, hell, some of them even test out different genre waters. With no risk, there's no challenge. Write the stories you want to write. If some don't work out, that's okay.

3. I will never believe "I'm the sh*t." Well, at least not for an extended period of time.
 We've all seen it. The author that hits whatever level and now seems to wear the "I'm the sh*t" tiara. Don't do it. No matter if you top every bestseller list. It's okay when you get a good review or hit a list or write a passage that rocks to think to yourself--yep, I'm the shizz nizz, baby. But keep it to yourself--please--and don't let it go to your head. No one's that awesome.

 4. I shall not wallow in a pool of self-pity and doubt when someone doesn't like me or my writing.
 Someone, probably many someones, will absolutely hate your writing. It's inevitable. You can't please everyone. If you let negative feedback get in your head, it will eat away at your confidence like cancer. This goes for rejections too. Feel the sting, eat a piece of chocolate or take a shot of whiskey--whatever you're preference--and move on.

5. I will never respond to a bad review.
 I said never. You hear? Never. Unless to say, "Thank you sir, can I have another?" I'm sure most of you saw the brouhaha on Twitter/Facebook/message boards over a writer who lashed out at a reviewer online. At some point in your career, you will want to do this. It's human. You will want to yell, scream, insult, bestow your wrath upon someone who said something bad about your book.
Don't do it. This is what friends and spouses are for--call them, let it out, cuss the jerk who gave you the negative review. But never lash out publicly or at the reviewer. This will only serve to make you look petty and childish, which will make people not want to deal with you or buy your books. (And remember, lovelies, the internet is viral. One untoward comment can make the rounds faster than a case of croup at a daycare.)

6. Covet your neighbor's success. A dose of envy does a writer good.
There are all these posts out there about writer envy and jealousy telling you how you shouldn't waste time being envious of other writers and what they have, their level of success, etc.  Yes, that's true. If you spend all your time burning green, you won't get anything else done. BUT, a little bit of this can be helpful. So and so got an agent and you haven't yet? Your crit partner hit the bestseller list but you can't seem to? Feel that envy and USE it. Use it as kindling under your butt and light a fire to keep going, to get what you want, to grab that success too. Envy with motivation can be very productive. Envy with whining and no action is what you need to avoid.

7. "Good enough" will never be good enough.
 The best authors don't settle for good enough. If you've sold a bazillion books and you already have a deal for the next and everyone is lining up just for the privilege of sharing your air, it could be tempting to just write something that's "good enough". But the best authors don't. They put as much heart and guts into every book they put out every time.

8. I will not apologize for what I write.
 Do not apologize for your passion. There are stigmas against all kinds of genres, not just romance. But this is your writing, your story, and your blood on the page. Playing down what you write is playing down who you are. I know this one will be tough for me because once my book comes out, people in my life will know exactly what I write. I know some will judge me for it. I do not want to apologize for it. I'm proud of it.

9. I shall pay it forward.
The best writers give back. If any of you stopped by the blog and saw the Operation Auction information, you know this is true. No we can't help others all the time. If Stephen King answered every email from a newbie on how to be a writer, he'd never get anything done. But he did write On Writing, which is a way of giving back what he's learned (even though, granted, he did make money writing that book.) So no matter how busy you get, try to find time to help others out. Maybe it's to offer a query crit to someone who hasn't queried before, maybe it's having a blog that gives information that everyone can benefit from, maybe it's volunteering your time at conferences or judging a contest. Whatever it is, find something. Think of those who've helped you in your journey. Don't you want to be one of those people another writer can think of?

10. Don't forget to have fun--you love this, dumbass. (Even when it's hard.)
 It's easy to get caught up in the day to day--this chapter is so hard, I have a saggy middle, why won't these agents answer my queries--rut. But never forget, this is your dream. Enjoy the act of writing. And good Lord, if you do get the elusive book deal and become published, don't spend your time whining about the minutiae. It's okay for authors to tweet if they're struggling with an edit or whatever, but too much of that sounds like a whole bunch of whine. So many people want this. If you get it, be thankful and for heaven's sake, enjoy it! You get to make stuff up for a living.

So, readers, what would you add (if anything) to Roni's 10?

Comments

  1. Very cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I don't think I'd add a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Liz and Constance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:26 AM

    Kristina, I want to link to this! It's great. Frankly, I need to print it and recite it daily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #S 9 & 10 are my favorites. I love to pay-it-forward. The talents of my main characters in my first two books include landscape design and conservation. I have links on my website to the Master Gardeners program (so intimidating!), Operation Migration and Treecycle. So fun. I am counting on #10 coming around after I get over the rush of initial set up for all these pages, etc.
    Thank you for sharing this, Kristina! I sure needed it!
    R.T. Wolfe
    www.rtwolfe.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it when Roni posted it and I still love it. Way to spread the word :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go for it, Kristine! Roni's website is www.roniloren.com

    Paying it forward is something I try to do, too, RT. And, having fun? That's a daily occurrence!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So clever!! Thank you for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this list. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great commandments, Kristina. The only thing I would add is ll. Be passionate. Life is too short to spend hours and days and years doing something you aren't passionate about ... well, unless you have to :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed at #3 and have to admit I struggle with #8.

    Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love ALL ten items! Fantastic commandments!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good advise for us want-to-be authors. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think another should be - I will not fear edits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was wonderful! I'm glad I stopped by. Wouldn't add a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved the post! I feel like some of the advice is stuff we all overlook sometimes and seeing it and reading it again just keeps it reinforced! Thanks for this Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent post! I couldn't think of a thing to add.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these - especially the explanations that go along with. #8 was great. I write middle grade as well as general women's fiction, and I get a lot of people (especially writers) looking down their nose at me. Tough--I love what I write! Although I do get sucked into #4 when I'm the one who doesn't like what I write. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lynn and Margery - love your additions!!

    Thanks for stopping in today, everyone!

    Jennifer,#4 is definitely a struggle...

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is great advice, the only thing I would add is Even though this is our business, I personally don't do it for the money. I will take it hand over fist if I can make it, but I write because I love to create sensual, beautiful, fun stories that live and breathe in a world that readers get to look at. Success can not be defined by the dollar amount, We define it by our commitment to dreaming, writing and sharing our worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha, that was an awesome list! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely loved this, Kristina. Thanks! I needed some kindling on fire, that's for sure! Love your sense of humor as always. Way to cheer-lead, much appreciated, truly!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great list, Kristi! I know I'm struggling with #4...

    All these are good things to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So true, Traci!

    Thanks for visiting, Pam, Sara and Melissa!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts