Thursday, September 13, 2012

3 on Thursday - Guilty Pleasures!

I'm not a big believer in guilty pleasures. The guilt part, that is. I'm of the firm opinion that there is enough in real life to stress us out, so why add in the things that 1) make us happy or 2) help us de-stress. So why not embrace the things we like, own them and just move on?

That said, there are a few things that I like that I don't go around shouting about from the rooftops. Call me crazy, but part of my enjoyment is not having to defend these little tidbits of my life...so I enjoy them and just don't talk about them. Unless I'm asked directly. Not that you've technically asked, but I figure this is as good a time as any to start owning. So..today's 3 on Thursday - the TV edition!


First, Dance Moms. I'm not a fan of the reality-TV dating shows, those kind of give me the heebies. I like the more true-to-life shows like Pawn Stars (Rick and The Old Man are hilarious). And Dance Moms. Say what you will about Abby being 'mean' (I actually don't think she's mean, I do think she could use a little polishing in dealing with the kiddos) and the moms being nuts (because, they are a little crazy but they're also fiercely loyal to their kids - have to love that). I like the girls the most. Their love for dance shines through and they just amaze me with their talent.

Second, Dallas. I just love those mildly melo-dramatic daytime (or nighttime) dramas. Who doesn't want to watch the excessively rich fall in and out of love (badly), do things to protect the people they love (badly) and then see those actions blow up in their faces (very, very badly)? Seriously, is there a better escape from the mundane of making dinner, bathing the kids, putting up with horrible co-workers? Dallas is my new favorite. Just finished a marathon of the last 5 episodes...and I can't wait until the show comes back in January!

Third, Modern Family. Sit-coms had their hey-dey, in my opinion, in the 1980s, but Modern Family takes what was best about those 80s shows (siblings, rivalry, silly situations) and makes it...well, modern. The shows takes three generations of a family, tells the story in reality-tv format (complete with Diary Room Interviews) and we get to watch the fall-out of zaniness. Plus, who doesn't love Cam & Mitch attempting to raise their adopted daughter, Phil & Claire having no control over their brood and Jay coming to terms with Wife #2 (who's Colombian) and her son, who is wise-beyond-his-years and not like any boy-child. Ever.

So, there you go, my 3 guilty TV pleasures...what are yours?