Tuesday, September 25, 2012

First Line Frenzy!

First lines kill me. They always have. I'm one of those readers who cracks open an interesting book in the bookstore and reads the first bit. A good first line will have me immediately closing that book, putting it under my arm and reaching for another.

First lines, I think, set the tone for the book. Create interest in a character or situation, and make the reader ask 'why'. That's a lot to ask for a ten to twenty word span, but it can be done.

We're now less than a week from the release of my second book, The Saint's Devilish Deal, and I thought it would be fun to have a first line frenzy - in which I show you mine and you show me yours. Because a little tit for tat is good, don't you think?

So, my first line:


The outer office door opened and shut with authority and the hot lawyer’s office instantly shrank in size. 

You can share your first line in the comments below and tell me - what's your favorite kind of first line? Action? Instrospection? Question? And do you think the point of view character of the first line is important?