P.M. Kavanaugh Answers 5 Simple Questions!


Heya, readers! It's my pleasure to introduce you to P.M. Kavanaugh, a debut author and friend! P.M. and I met a couple of years ago (I can't believe it's been that long!) when I attended one of my first RWA Chapter meetings in Toledo. Since, I've learned that P.M. is very insightful, fun to be around and a all-around good person...and I'm thrilled that her debut book, Die Run Hide is now out! Thanks for being here today, P.M.!

P.M.: Hi everybody,
It’s great to be here today. Thanks, Kristina, for having me. Okay, go ahead and let the questions fly!

Kristina: M&Ms, Chips 'n Dip, Jell-O Shots…what's your snack of choice when you're on deadline?

P.M.: Well, since you didn’t list “carrot sticks” as one of the choices (grin), I’ll go with M&M’s. The peanut butter kind, please.

Kristina: Oh, peanut butter M&Ms...YUM! And my daughter would agree with you - carrot sticks are a fave in our house... What's your favorite non-word (as in a word we've bastardized or completely made up) and why?

P.M.: Oh, great question! Mine is “solo” which I know is a real word, but in the context of my novel, has a completely different, and sinister, meaning than can be found in Webster’s Dictionary. In my novel, set 50 years in the future and featuring operatives who are legally contracted for life to a covert counterterrorist agency, a “solo” is a type of mission that, even if successful, results in the death of the operative assigned to it. My heroine agrees to a “solo” at the outset of the book because…oops, well, I don’t want to give too much away in this short interview!

Kristina: OK, not fair teasing and then not giving a full teaser!!! When the writing gets tough, who do you lean on?

P.M.: I have two go-to friends. For support that only a fellow writer can provide, I turn to Jill Kemerer, chapter mate and friend extraordinaire. She’s a treasure trove of writing craft tips, social media expertise, and “been-there-and-I-know-how-it-feels” stories. The second person is my sister, Kay, who introduced me to the fictional TV character and series that inspired my book and has great plot/character insights through that shared interest.

Kristina: Finish this sentence: For me, writing is like ______________ (and feel free to expand on your answer, doesn't have to be just one word)

P.M.: For me, writing is like a juggling act. It involves keeping many balls moving in a constant flow. Some of those balls are about writing itself (actual writing, plotting & editing), while others are about promotion (blog-touring, social media) and still others are about “paying-it-forward” (critiquing others, answering questions posted on writer loops). As I become “better,” I need to add more “balls” (plotting next book, guest blogging, etc.) to demonstrate my improving skills. It’s exciting to see the number of balls increase…and a little scary to try and not drop any!

Kristina: Tell us one interesting/funny/crazy thing about this book or its characters that didn't make in 'between the covers'?

P.M.: Well, about 21,324 words(!) didn’t make it “between the covers” of the published version of Die Run Hide. That’s how many words I had to cut from the manuscript I originally submitted to my editor in order to hit the target word count preferred by Crimson. Some of those words/scenes will NEVER see the light of day (ha, ha). But others might surface as “Cut Scenes” on my website, like the Extras that are included on the DVD version of movies. Stay tuned!

Kristina: Ooooooh, love cutting room floor scenes!! Thanks for visiting today, P.M.!

P.M.: Great questions, Kristina. (And not too tough—whew!) Thanks again for asking me to stop by.

All About Die Run Hide
Follow orders or die. Anika Washington knows the rules laid down by the counterterrorist agency that owns her. When she aborts a mission in order to spare a young girl, she’s given an ultimatum: take on a new mission that requires betraying her fellow operative, and lover, or forfeit her own life.

After discovering that her lover, Gianni, has chosen another, Anika accepts the mission. In the aftermath, she learns that Gianni was faithful to her and she’d been tricked into thinking otherwise. The knowledge comes too late and she’s almost killed in an agency double-cross.


Now she must run—battling time, former enemies and the agency itself to stay alive and save the man she loves. Release date: September 3, 2012 Available for purchase at: Crimson Romance
Amazon
Barnes & Noble

Comments

  1. What a tease PM is! Can't wait to read Die Run Hide. Congratulations on your release.
    Kristina, thanks for hosting PM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, PM! Thanks for visiting with me today!! And Shay, isn't she?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE penutbutter M&Ms too, PM! Die Run Hide sounds wonderful. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PM,
    Juggling act, definitely! Great interview. Best of luck with your new release!
    R.T. Wolfe
    www.rtwolfe.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview--good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, P.M. It was great to learn more about you. What would we do without our writing buddies to see us through? Best of luck with Die Run Hide!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to meet you, P.M. Carrot sticks as a snack? Not in this house lol. Look forward to reading your book. Sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everybody. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a few friendly and supportive comments.
    Kristina -- extra special thanks for hosting me!
    Shay -- Well, I guess you'll just have to read the book to find out the full answer to the tease (or throw some peanutbutter M&Ms my way and I'll probably tell all)
    Constance -- let's share some peanut butter M&Ms at our next get together, 'k?
    RT -- Thanks for the good wishes.
    Liz -- Thanks for the "good luck." I'll take it!
    Susan -- Writing buddies --and blogging buddies -- are the best part of being a writer!
    Margery -- Maybe carrot sticks dipped in peanut butter??? ha! Thanks for saying "hi."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to meet you P.M. I'm trying to work a juggling act myself as of late. It's a hard job, isn't it? Never know which way to go. I wish you all the best with "Die Run Hide".
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi P.M....great to meet you! Congrats on your debut book and for keeping it all together with the help of writer friends. They are invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Peanut butter M&Ms are my favorite too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrot sticks? ugh! LOL. Just kidding. I do like them. Your book sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PM looks like she eats carrot sticks, and I mean that in the nicest way! I wish I could say the same. Meanwhile, I can't keep M&Ms in the house, and the peanuts are my favorite. I rationalize that I'm getting some protein.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Neecy--The trick to juggling is to never stop moving (I think!)
    Hi Christine--Thanks for the congrats and, yes, writer friends are the best.
    Hi Sharon--If the M&Ms candy company ever discontinues the peanut butter variety, it is going to hear from a lot of writers. After all, that is one thing we do well--write and then write some more.
    Hi D'Ann--Carrot sticks ARE great...just not as great as those M&Ms
    Hi Maria--I like your rationalization; will have to use it.
    Thanks, ladies, and Kristina, for helping me feel welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts