Author Interview - Sharon Cullen


Heya, readers! I have good friend and amazing writer Sharon Cullen with me today! I'm so excited to host Sharon! We first met about a year and a half ago through some amazing writer-peeps called The InkSlingers. She's funny, extremely talented...and she loves puppies. Plus she writes a kick-ass (and totally yummy Templar). Which makes her better-than-alright in my book. Okay, Sharon, on with the interview!

Kristina: What do you wear when you're writing?

Sharon: Umm. Well, that depends on when I write. Right now I'm in ugly gray sweats, an oversized pea green sweatshirt that's a hand-me-down from my dad, and slippers. If I write in the evening then whatever I was wearing that day. No boa. No bon bons, much to my regret. Although my butt is thankful for the no bon bons.

Kristina: Oh, the bon bons. So sad that carrot sticks and celery just don't have that zing, isn't it? When was the last time you argued with one of your characters? And were you caught by a real person?

Sharon: LOL! The last character I argued with would have to be Lord Sebastian Addison, Earl of Claybrook. I'm writing his synopsis and first three chapters. He's a hard man and kinda mean to his heroine, Lady Gabrielle Marciano. Every once in a while I have to put him in his place. I don't think anyone heard our argument.

Kristina: *nods* I get that. Every hero needs that, I think, from time to time. How do you keep gremlins – like your family – out of your office/writing habitat?

Sharon: My writing habitat has recently changed. I used to write on the desktop in my bedroom--away from the turmoil. But recently we adopted a puppy who is hell on wheels (paws?) and can't be left alone for ONE MINUTE. She eats EVERYTHING. So I'm now in the family room on my laptop. I write a lot in the evening and can usually handle minor, infrequent interruptions but if it gets to be too many I have A LOOK that every family member knows. It means, "You've crossed the line and this interruption better involve blood, smoke or fire." Usually they'll turn tail and mumble, "Never mind."

Kristina: I know that look. I've used that look! Have you ever taken your frustrations with the Real World out on your characters?

Sharon: Not usually. My fiction world is real in it's own way and my Real World doesn't cross over into it.
 
Kristina: If you could be one character from this book, who would it be? And why?

Sharon: Oh, wow. This is difficult. Both of my characters are so tortured in their own ways--both past and present. I'm not sure I'd want to live either of their lives but if I had to pick one, I'd pick Christien. He has his own sense of what's wrong and what's right. He lives his life his own way and after seven hundred years, who can blame him? I also think it would be interesting to live as long as he has and to see the changes he's seen.

Kristina: Christien sounds yummy - love a little bit of tortured hero! Thanks for visiting today, Sharon! Readers here is more about the book:

Her Dark Knight Blurb: Madelaine Alexander is on a mission. When her boss sends her to the hottest nightclub in town to meet with the owner, she won't be deterred, even if that means standing in line for fifty-eight minutes in torturous heels while she'd rather be home in her pj's with a bowl of popcorn.

A Knight of the Templar, Christien Chevalier was given immortality along with the responsibility of protecting the treasure of the Templars. He's been unwavering in his task for centuries until his one true love—who died seven hundred years ago—shows up in his club, demanding his attention.

Christien couldn't protect Madelaine when they first fell in love. She was married to a lord and he was simply a knight. Now, through some unknown miracle, she stands before him again and they have a second chance. But Christien fears that Madelaine is being used as a pawn in a dangerous game, a game of good versus evil that could affect all of mankind...

Excerpt:

She stepped back, breaking contact. He allowed her the room she needed, but would only let her go so far. He said he would wait, but he lied. He was through with waiting. However, he would give her the illusion of time if that was what she wanted.

“Why would you wait? I’m a hick from farm country. You’re...” She waved her hand in the air.

“I’m what?” They were standing so close that every time she breathed her chest brushed against his. He had to grit his teeth to keep from taking her in his arms.

“This isn’t a joke,” she whispered.

“Oh, I know.”


“You’re way out of my league.”

“I don’t play baseball.”

Her lips thinned. To keep from laughing or because she was perturbed?

“You’re exasperating,” she said.

“I’ve been called worse.”


“I’m sure you have.”


“Kiss me.”

“Christien...”

 “Kiss me, Madelaine.”

“This is going beyond exasperation into frustration. You’re not listening to a word I’m saying.”
He stared at her lips, needing the feel of them against his own. “I heard every word. Exasperating.
Frustrating. And something about baseball.”

He leaned forward and kissed her. Her small sound of surrender sent his heart soaring. Tentatively her fingers rested against his chest, her touch electrifying. He pulled her into his arms, feeling Madelaine. Not Lainie Alexander, but Madelaine, the woman he’d loved and lost. The woman he thought he’d never see again.





All About Sharon:
After earning a degree in journalism from Ohio University, Sharon found the stories inside her head were more interesting than what was going on in the world around her. Yet, it wasn’t until years later that she decided to pursue her secret dream of writing a romance novel. Since then she’s been published in romantic suspense, paranormal romance and contemporary romance and historical romance.

Sharon’s other job descriptions include chauffer, laundress, cook and mediator to her three very busy kids, her husband and two dogs. She lives in southwest Ohio with her brood although her dream is to someday retire to St. Maarten and live on the beach.

If you’d like to find out more about Sharon and her books, you can visit her at her blog or her website. She’s addicted to social networking so you can find her on Facebook and Twitter. Friend her! Like her! Follow her! She’d love to hang out with you and talk about her passion—books.


Where to find Sharon: Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Comments

  1. thanks for being here today, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the excerpt and the puppy and laughed because I'm wearing exactly what you described except that my ugly sweats are blue--it must be the writer's uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for having me, Kristina! And, Liz, that is definitely my writer's uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we went through a case of papertowels last time we had a puppy in the house. :) Wonderful interview! Laughed when I read you had "the look."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily she came mostly housebroken. Only a few accidents before she caught on. Sometimes I think the older dog trained her rather than us. But she is feisty. If she's tired of me writing she digs her nose under the laptop and flips it off my lap. LOL

      Delete
    2. that's hilarious, Sharon! We're actually talking about a puppy, some time after the holidays...

      Delete
  5. Great interview! The look! I think all moms have their version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, Ladies... I too am wearing sweats and a oversized shirt that my hubby hates, but is the most comfortable old thing. Love this story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm most comfy in a pair of my hubby's old boxers and a tank top in the summer. In the winter, I'm a sweats girl. Loved your excerpt. Nothing better than a great paranormal, and a knight to boot. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right now I'm in my jammy pants and old ratty red bathrobe reading blog posts. LOL. I love my job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the excerpt, Sharon, great job! Her Dark Knight sounds fab...good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts