Tasty Tuesday - Spicy Salad!

One of the things that gets me about Mexico is the food. Since my second book, The Saint's Devilish Deal, came out the number one question I've been asked: why set a romance novel in Mexico? Well, the short answer to that is that the people are warm, the weather is warm and the food is hot! And I'm completely serious about all three of those - I love the people of Mexico. I love the weather, even when it's hotter than Hades and the food...ahhhhh, the food.

Alas, a little fajita goes a long way. Same with chile con carne and queso blanco...This summer I was looking for a fun Mexican dish that wouldn't pack on the pounds and came across this one for a Summer Salad with Honey-Lime Dressing. Tried it once and, let me tell you, it's a favorite in my family.

Best part? As high-maintenance as it tastes, it only takes about 15 minutes to prepare. Love getting in and out of the kitchen in small amounts of time. So, without further ado, today's Tasty Tuesday recipe:

What you need:

Salad
2 1/2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and well drained
3/4 cup chopped seeded tomato
3/4 cup chopped peeled jicama
3/4 cup fresh corn kernels, uncooked (or frozen or canned)
3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
Half a ripe avocado, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese

Honey-Lime Dressing
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
1 tsp chopped jalapeño pepper (use canned for less heat)

Prep: Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Using a separate bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and once mixed, drizzle over the salad. Toss one more time and voila! a yummy salad fit for any summer day - or any day you'd like to have a bit of summer on a plate!

Comments

  1. This sounds delicious! I'm a salad fan anyway and I think this one would be yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's really great, Liz. One of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:55 AM

    YUM!! I am so trying this! That dressing sounds delicious!! Thanks, Kristi!! And congrats on the release!!! Wishing you many, many sales!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it will make your mouth happy, Jennifer!! :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Kristina. Having grown up in Arizona, I adore Mexican food. I know I'll enjoy this salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arizona is such a pretty place, Deborah! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Whenever I suggest a salad, my husband sings that song from The Simpsons, "You don't win friends with salad!" But he likes spicy stuff, so I'm definitely gonna give this shot. Thanks, Kristi. Sometimes you DO win friends with salad! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm verra familiar with that song, Lisa. My DH is soooo not a salad guy! Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds yummy and healthy. Love that combo. I, too, love Mexican food. And you know, when you make/have your burritos without the guac or sour cream, with whole wheat tortilla & whole black beans, grilled chicken--it's also yummy and (pretty) healthy. Then, of cousre, I have to throw in a margarita (or 3!)....okay, back to the gym now. Thanks for sharing, Kristina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, PM, I hadn't even thought of the drinks that go along with Mexico! :) Lucky for me, I had a double-workout today...so no worries on the calorie count. Much. ;)

      Delete
  8. Yum, sounds really good. Since I have a salad for lunch every day, I'm always looking for new ways to eat my lettuce, lol. Thanks. Best of luck with your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Callie. Definitely try this one, I think you'll love it!

      Delete
  9. Yummy! Maybe I could make this one w/o messing it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely could, D'Ann! It's a no-mess-up recipe!

      Delete
  10. This looks fantastic, Kristina. I love salads and I will definitely make this. As a matter of fact, I'd love it right now!

    I love the sound of you book. Can't wait to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Sharon! Hope you enjoy the book (and the salad, too)!

      Delete
  11. I love a good salad and this honey-lime dressing sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its nomnomnom, Sharon. Sometimes, with the leftovers, I dip crackers. Shhhhh! Don't tell.

      Delete
  12. I have absolutely no idea what jicama is, but it's a wonderful thing having the world wide web at your fingertip. Awesome recipe. I look forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Melissa - the interwebz are a great place to find out new things, for sure!

      Delete
  13. I do the spicey, and this is right up my alley! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds perfect for this time of year too, nice and spicy to heat the blood. Thanks Kristi (am now off to see what a jicama is!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jicama is a root vegetable, Cait, slightly sweet. Enjoy the salad!

      Delete
    2. ahh interesting and in a salad...good stuff thanks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts