Meet Debut Author Elke Feuer


Heya, readers! It's my pleasure to introduce you to a new writing in the romantic suspense space - Elke Feuer! I met Elke through a writer's group on Facebook - she's a Caribbean girl with a fun sense of humor, and I can't wait to read her debut book! So, without further ado, heeeeere's Elke!

Kristina: What do you wear when you're writing? 
Elke: Always clothes. I write at my favorite restaurant or coffee shop, so I don’t think they’d appreciate it if I showed up in my jammies. 

Kristina: snorfle Yeah, I can see how jammies might be frowned upon…in some cases. Lol When was the last time you argued with one of your characters? And were you caught by a real person? 
Elke: I argue with them all the time. The latest was who was going to be the killer in my first release, For the Love of Jazz. The killer I picked argued they weren’t a killer and I didn’t think readers would believe the person who wanted to be the killer. Luckily they convinced me. Thankfully, I’ve never been caught by a real person.  I think it’s because I keep the conversations in my head, most of the time. 

Kristina: Oooh, arguing with killers can get…hairy! How do you keep gremlins – like your family – out of your office/writing habitat? 
Elke: If I write at home it’s after everyone has gone to bed. I write at my favorite spots on the weekends, so I don’t get distracted. 

Kristina: Have you ever taken your frustrations with the Real World out on your characters? 
Elke: Not yet, but I’m sure I will at some point. 

Kristina: If you could be one character from this book, who would it be? And why? 
Elke: I’d have to say my heroine, Josie. I’ve always wanted to sing jazz music and she gets that chance in the story. Also, she ends up with the hero, Patrick, and he is hot, hot, hot! Shh, don’t tell my husband. 

All about Elke: I was born and raised on Grand Cayman where I live with my husband and two wonderful kids. To my surprise, I enjoy writing romantic suspense, and even more surprising, writing about serial killers. 

Reading, spending time with my family, traveling, and meeting people, is my joy. Writing is my passion. I don't have animals, but adore puppies and fluffy kittens, but doesn't everyone? 
My dream is to become a stay at home mom and a full-time author.  

My first book, For the Love of Jazz, is available for purchase December 24, 2012 from Amazon, iTunes, and B&N. Below is the blurb and a short excerpt. 

All About For the Love of Jazz: Restoration architect, Josie, takes on a project with lawyer and senator’s son, Patrick. It’s the perfect match. She needs his endorsement to save her business and he wants to restore his ancestral Chicago home. Neither planned on falling in love, being haunted by ghosts, or discovering she has a claim to his home. When she finds out his family may be responsible for her aunt’s disappearance fifty years ago, it’s a race to unearth the truth before she loses not only her business, and her heart, but her life.

Excerpt from For the Love of Jazz: 

“Mr. Pullman will see you now.” Patrick’s secretary hung up the phone and motioned her to his office. 

“Thank you.”  

His secretary contacted Josie for the meeting the same day she had sent her estimate and proposed designs. Josie was certain she had the job. He wouldn’t meet just to tell her she didn’t get it, would he? 

Her breath stopped when she walked into his office. 

At home, he’d been imposing with his broad shoulders and confident, arrogant air. In the courtroom, he was known as Calculating Pullman for the way he won cases. Seated behind his large mahogany desk he was a frightening force.   

“Please have a seat.” He pointed to a chair in front of his desk.

Her heart dropped. She hoped he wasn’t going to give her a long speech like the ones his father gave. Just give me a straight yes or no, don’t sugar coat it. She sat calmly in the black leather chair, smiled through gritted teeth, and for a moment regretted her blatant confidence when they met. 

His fingers played with the onyx paper weight on his desk. “Did you get new clients?”

Her heartbeat raced as she shook her head slowly. 

“Good, I want you to do the restoration.” His eyes rose to meet hers. 

Oh man! There was a catch, and she wasn’t going to like it. 

“I want you stay at the house during the renovations and not take on any other jobs until mine is done.”   

“What?” He couldn’t be serious. She searched his face. He was. “Why do I need to stay at the house?”

“I need this project finished on time and that will mean having you close to discuss designs and restoration changes. Living at the house is the best option and also eliminates the risk of theft.” He leaned back in his chair. “Room and board is free. You don’t want to waste money your business needs, do you?” 

Damn, he knew about her finances and was going to play hard ball. Well, she had no intention of letting him use it against her. She was the best candidate and they both knew it. If she wasn’t, he would’ve hired another company. “I want a flattering personal reference,” she countered. 

A cocky grin curved his lips. “Then I want guarantees.” 

She held his gaze. 

“You’ll get your reference if you meet my six month deadline, if I’m satisfied with the quality of the work, and if the job comes within budget.” He moved his chair back into the upright position. 

“That will not include changes you make to my original estimate or if you select inferior products,” she added quickly.  

His smile broadened and a boyish dimple winked at her.  

Is he enjoying this? 

Damn him, he is!  

She didn’t like it one bit. He was taking away the control she wanted, needed, to have. The excitement she’d felt when he agreed to hire her vanished. The masculine atmosphere that had floated in the air like cheap cologne when she arrived squeezed around her, making her uncomfortable.  

“Do we have a deal?” His confident tone implied he knew her answer. 

Thanks for having me as a guest, Kristina. I love hearing from readers. They can connect with me at:

http://elkefeuer.com/
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Elke-Feuer/185367964831994
https://twitter.com/ElkeFeuer
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6550227.Elke_Feuer


Comments

  1. Hi, Elke! Welcome - love that excerpt...can't wait for your book to debut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kristina! Thrilled to be here. Thanks again for hosting me.

      Delete
  2. What a great picture of you--I want to be able to wear that color! The book sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. I'm sure you'd look terrific in any color.

      Delete
  3. Great excerpt, Elke. Definintely a book to read!
    -R.T. Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fast paced read...great excerpt!

    Congrats on your book Elke!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Christine!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous8:51 AM

    Great interview, ladies! Sounds like a fun book, Elke!! Gonna pick it up! Congrats on the release!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jennifer. I'm hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. The book is set in Chicago, just an hour from my house, and has ghosts in it. Sounds like my kind of read. Congrats on the release! And I'm very jealous you live in the Caymans. I'm in Milwaukee and I haven't seen sun in over a week. I would love to spend Jan and Feb in the Caymans. Milwaukee is like Gotham City during those months. Congrats again on your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Chicago, so I think you're lucky too. Great time to come to Cayman. The weather is cool and your clothes to melt to your skin from the humidity. :-)

      Thanks for stopping by, Eliza!

      Delete
  7. Great interview! Love the excerpt, Elke. Congrats on your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Elke!!!
    Love it, girl! Can't wait to see Josie and Patrick buring up the book shelves.
    Giant hugs!!!
    -C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both our books, Cecily!

      ((Hugs back)). Hope to see you at RWA in 2013. It's my treat this year. :-)

      Delete
  9. Enjoyed both the interview and excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun interview and fab excerpt thanks ladies! Good luck with the release!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job, ladies! I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. You're next for your interview and book release. :-)

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed the interview and the excerpt!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And a ghost!?! Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your first answer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun interview, ladies! Congrats on the release, Elke. I like a hero who's hot, hot, hot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great interview, ladies. Loved the excerpt, Elke. Can't wait to read the whole thing :D Luck, luck, luck!!!

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the fact you say jammies. It's so British!! I've only ever heard Americans say PJs, but then Cayman was a British colony! Elke, it's OK to fancy your hero! You can't act on it!
    Great interview, still shaking my head at your fixation with serial killers. You don't look that kind of girl! Sooz

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey, Elke, I know what Santa needs to bring me! I've been good...ish. I like a hot hot hot hero. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts