5 Questions With Nikki Lynn Barrett!

Hiya, readers! It's my pleasure to introduce you to Nikki Lynn Barrett (that's her cover over there, isn't it gorgeous?)! Nikki's a great writer, an awesome friend to other authors and all-around fun girl! Nikki's going to share an excerpt in just a sec, but first, she's in the hot-seat. Nikki...answers, please. :)


Kristina: What do you wear when you're writing?

Nikki: Well, I don't write naked...Sorry LOL.

(Kristina snorfles)

Nikki: I'm usually in jeans and a t-shirt, or shorts, depending on the season. I've actually had to put on something other than nightclothes because I do walk my son down to his bus in the morning. But I make sure I'm comfortable.
 
Kristina: Comfort is key for me, too. When was the last time you argued with one of your characters? And were you caught by a real person?

Nikki: Considering I have a habit of yelling at items that can't fend for themselves, if someone were to catch me arguing with a character, they wouldn't even be fazed by it...LOL. I do. I yell at dishes, or a towel, or whatever happens to irritate me or something! Luckily, I didn't have any arguments with Characters when writing The Secret Santa Wishing Well. Everyone cooperated. 

Kristina: Yay for cooperating characters! How do you keep gremlins – like your family – out of your office/writing habitat?

Nikki: Locking the door! My library room is totally incomplete (AHEm, husband needs to get on the ball and finish it as promised!) My three year old loves to come into my library but I don't let him because he likes to get into things....so, no way for him. I have to lock the door when my husband is home and he can keep little man occupied. My husband comes in here, but if I want my computer, he knows to get off of it. He's got a computer of his own, lol.

Kristina: Locking doors...if only that would shut out the sounds of 'Moooooooommmmmyyyyyy'... Have you ever taken your frustrations with the Real World out on your characters?

Nikki: I plead the fifth....;) That reminds me....I really should put a warning sign on the library door! 

Kristina: Well played, Nikki, well played. If you could be one character from this book, who would it be? And why?

Nikki: Ben, the heroine's six year old son. I wish I had the views of Christmas through a child's eyes again. My son is still a little young to understand what goes on, but Ben is old enough and has a different view of the world where as I am jaded...I guess that's how Jacob and Cheyenne's feelings were created. Thank goodness they found each other and changed their minds.

All About The Secret Santa Wishing Well: The magic of Christmas has been lost to Jacob Winston. At the suggestion of his ill sister, Jacob takes a job as a Secret Santa at the mall, hoping to restore his Christmas spirit. Even that doesn't seem to work, until a special little boy ambles up to make a very special wish...

Cheyenne Jensen is struggling to raise her two kids without the help of her ex-husband who refuses to acknowledge his daughter's existence and doesn't provide for the son he does. This Christmas is shaping up to be as heartbreaking as the last, until her son Ben's kind actions lead a stranger to them.

Ah, but it's Christmas time and the magic has begun.

When Jacob and Cheyenne meet, neither can deny their immediate attraction to one another. As situations arise that require they spend more time together, their feelings grow stronger and stronger.

With Christmas fast approaching, the pair learn what matters most in life. Now, if only they could ditch the ghost of Christmases past.

Maybe this holiday will bring some wishes come true- for everyone after all.

 Excerpt from The Secret Santa Wishing Well: Jacob wasn't far from her mind even when they weren't talking.  Ben brought his name up constantly, admiration and love in his voice.  He really liked Jacob.  One night while tucking him into bed, Ben said something that melted Cheyenne's heart.
“The wishing well with Santa worked.  He brought Jacob to us.  Jacob made sure my wish came true.  He really does know Santa!”  He'd said sleepily, closing his eyes with a big smile on his face.  But the words he said rang in her ears.  What was his wish?  With everything going on lately, Ben's wish had slipped her mind.
So when Jacob called that evening, she mentioned it to him.  Asked him.  “What was Ben's wish that day, Jacob?”
“Hmm?” he asked, obviously startled.  Distracted again.
“Ben said that the wishing well with Santa worked, that it brought you to us.  I'm curious what his wish was.”  Cheyenne leaned back into the couch, covering herself with the blanket.  She wanted to turn up the heat, but debated against it.  Ben and Desiree were warm enough, so why couldn't she get warm?  If she turned the heat up anymore, she'd suffocate.  Not to mention the electric bill.
Jacob hesitated before answering.  “He wished for you not to have to work so hard.  That he could have a family, a daddy that loved him.”  Oh, Ben.  No wonder he thought Jacob was the answer.  Jacob had been there ever since the wish, since Ben met him.  He thought Jacob would be the daddy he always wanted?  That's why he was so happy when he saw Jacob and Cheyenne exchange a hug or a quick kiss.
He had his sights set high.  Way too high.  While she wanted the best for Ben, he couldn't go on thinking that Jacob was going to be a dad to him.  Jacob had his own life, though he'd been sharing time with them, it wouldn't last long, would it?  With whatever he was dealing with that kept him at a distance, she predicted it wouldn't.  Call it a fear, call it intuition, call it stupid, but when someone didn't give their undivided attention and seemed to be shrouded in mystery, it couldn't end well.
Cheyenne willed the tears not to fall.  What a wish for a six year old.  While her pride for her son was evident, the fact that a little boy had to wish for things like that tore her up.
“Cheyenne?  You okay?”  Jacob's deep voice made her heart beat faster.
“I was just taken back.  Wow.  He shouldn't have to wish for love from his father.  That's terrible.”
“It is.  But you're doing all you can.  You can't control what his dad does, Cheyenne.  You have to know that.  Ben looks up to you.  He thinks the world of you.”
“He's growing up too fast.  Sometimes he's so much wiser than six.  I don't always know how to react, or feel about that.”  A chill ran down her spine, spouting goosebumps on her arm.  She tried to shift positions, cover all of herself.  “I wish you were here.” She blurted.
Oh God, why did I say that out loud?  What was I thinking?
“I didn't expect to hear that from you.”  Jacob's voice went low, raspy.

All About Nikki: Nikki Lynn Barrett lives in Arizona with her husband and son. She's an avid reader, a dreamer, and loves everything about books. She runs a book blog, an online used bookstore, and writes various genres of romance. Nikki can also be found outside with her camera when a storm is near, snapping photo after photo. Her dreams of becoming a writer started when she was young, when she started writing books in one subject notebooks by the fifth grade. The Secret Santa Wishing Well is her debut book. You can visit Nikki's site at: www.nikkilynnbarrett.blogspot.com for more information. She is working on her next book. Nikki would love to hear from readers. Email her at nikkilynnbarrett@yahoo.com

Buy on Amazon Kindle
Buy on B&N Nook

Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/NikkiLynnBarrettauthor
Twitter: @Stormgoddess925
GoodReads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6583655.Nikki_Lynn_Barrett

Comments

  1. Hi, Nikki! Thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cover and your excerpt, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! :) That cover just screams holiday, doesn't it? :)

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous cover! Love the sound of your story, Nikki. Wishing you much success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margery! I've gotten such an amazing response on the cover...and the story too. Thanks for visiting me here today!

      Delete
  4. Pamela Hargraves9:02 AM

    I am reading this book now, why does work have to interfere with my reading? Anyway, I am loving this story, it is totally awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music to my ears, Pamela! I'm glad to know you're enjoying the story! And, LOL about work interfering...I don't work out of the house, but I do know I hate distractions when I just want to read a great book! Thanks for commenting and visiting me here today1

      Delete
  5. Thank you for having me here today, Kristina! It was a blast answering your questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heya, Nikki! Love your cover! Wish I had a an office to lock!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi D'Ann! Thank you :) I think all writers need an office to lock...should be mandatory or something. LOl

      Thanks for visiting me here today! Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  7. Fun interview Nikki! I like the idea of shutting the door and keeping the family out...lol...unfortunately I don't have a room I can do that in the house right now - though I could probably go downstairs if I wanted to ....no one wants to do down there but me anyway because then they'd have to do laundry...lol...Thanks for the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We keep the bedroom doors shut here because the cats can't come into the rooms...I'm so used to closed doors now that I don't know if i could ever sleep with one open LOL. It's nice to just hide out for awhile. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I don't have an office :-( I have a couch in the family room and sometimes I don't even have that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, I could NOT write in my living room! My husband has his computer set up in there, to our big screen TV, my brother in law resides in our living room right now...my 3 year old plays out there, and we have four cats. Plus my FIL comes in and out and doesn't know when to stuff it..I would go nuts if I didn't have a room to hide in....

    Thanks for stopping by Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My office = dining room table, often occupied by a quilt project, bills to be paid, and a very large cat.

    I sometimes find myself yelling at my storyline, something like, "You're doing WHAT now? That wasn't in the plans! Now I have to write another book!" They just laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, K.R. The characters have a way of stealing the show, all you can do is be the messenger, what you say has no relevance to them whatsoever!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:53 PM

    That cover is gorgeous!!! And the book sounds fabulous too!! Can't wait to read it :) Congrats on the release! Wishing you many, many sales!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! Carey did a kick-@ss job on this cover! :) I hope you enjoy when you read it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the great hop.Happy New Year!

    parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts