Hodgepodge or Decorator-Decorated?

 Seeing as how this blog is overly organized and always sticks to a subject (bwahaha), it will probably completely surprise you that during The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, my house is a hodgepodge of decoration. We have a tree with ornaments collected over they years that don't match. I have a Boyd's Bears 'Night Before Christmas' wall hanging on one wall, Lennox snowman ornaments from my grandmother (names engraved), a Precious Moments Nativity fighting for space with a veritable Nutcracker Army on the hearth...it's a conglomoration of every thing...and I love it.
 These are three of my favorite ornaments, and one has been on the tree for less than a week. It's the one above - a family of owls hanging on the tree; bebe picked it out because, in her words, 'now we're like Pooh's family, too'. She's slightly obsessed with Pooh. I don't know why.

And then there is the ornament to the right - which reminds me or a Norwegian Christmas. Not that I've visited Norway or Sweden or Finland..but I think they probably have white Christmases and I really want a true, white Christmas one of these days.
And then there are the plethora of bebe-personalized ornaments. I like the one to the left because it's so her - she would wear a tiara every day of her life if we let her. What 4-year-old wouldn't? But the colors are her and for whatever reason, each year it comes out of the box she sits on the floor and just holds it for a few minutes, watching. Tracing her little fingers over the letters.

So our tree is a hodge-podge of ornaments and memories...its the best kind of tree, I think. Although I really, really like the decorator version of trees - with bows and matching ornaments.

In my new book - What a Texas Girl Needs - a hodge-podge tree is decorated...And for Vanessa, after years of decorator-decorated trees being in the house, there is a bonding moment with her estranged father and sister...it was one of my favorite scenes to write because I got to put a little of our Christmas tradition into a book. The book releases on Monday, December 18.

What about you? What's your favorite kind of tree decoration this time of year?

Comments

  1. I am always in awe of the designer trees but I am a total hodge-podge decorator. I love the memories that come with the decorations. I have some hand-painted balls that my great-great-great Aunt made probably back in the 20's. I have bright Mexican ornaments that I bought in my first year of marriage. I have a glitter popsicle stick star with Kristen's second grade picture in it. And elves, snoopy, and angels. Nothing I'd trade for a uniform version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tree sounds fab, Margie! I'm in awe of designer trees, too...but since my house isn't a designer house, I figure I'm safe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hodgepodge! But my husband is a snob. :(

    So, we have two colors of balls (silver and Tar Heel blue) and the ornaments we've collected from trips and special Hallmark-type things.

    I'm a country girl. Why can't he allow me my whimsy, damn it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holley, I'll bet your tree is beautiful - whimsical is what makes the holiday, I think!

      Delete
  4. At this point, I'd just like to see the tree up. We haven't done a lick of decorating this year. Just not in the holiday spirit, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no tree yet? That is sacrilege in our family, Sheri! lol I'll bet once its up, it'll be beautiful!

      Delete
  5. Never have a theme. I just collect ornament here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. going through the ornament collection is one of my favorite parts of Decorating Day, Jerri..so many memories!

      Delete
  6. I love the post. And the ornaments. And I'm wanting the book, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. three more days, Liz, three more days. :)

      Delete
  7. with two daughters it's hodge podge all the way and I love it. But my favourite decoration is the tinsel I bought this week. We always had tinsel on your tree growing up but I could never find the same kind but this year I have -- so it's just the streamed tinsel shreds as opposed to the garlands and when it's dark and the lights are on, it's so very magical. Aw. Lovely post thanks Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds beautiful, Cait! My mom did tinsel when I was a kid...and I was the one with the Tinsel Clean Up job after. So, tinsel is avoided in our house. Maybe one day I'll bring it back...

      Delete
  8. I love your tree. I'm with you and hodgepodge all the way with ornaments collected over the years. It's our life on that tree. I love it. I still have to get the new ornaments for the kids for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a great way to put it - our life on a tree. Love that, Kwana!

      Delete
  9. I have a hodge-podge tree. Every year we buy the kids an ornament for Christmas. My husband and I take a long time in picking it out because it has to be just right. It has to reflect what that child is interested in at that time. We all love opening the ornament boxes (yes, boxes) and saying, "remember when...."

    I like looking at themed trees but they're not for my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have *tubs* filled with ornament boxes, Sharon...so I know where you're coming from!

      Delete
    2. Sharon--I love that you and your husband pick out the ornaments together and that you put so much thought into them. You have very lucky kids!

      Delete
  10. I'm a designer, so I have a designer tree, well, three to be totally honest, but we won't get into my overachieving Christmas decorating. I loved this post and the three owl ornament is awesome. Happy Holidays,
    E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *three* trees, Elizabeth? I'm a little bit in awe! I'll be your trees are beautiful!

      Delete
    2. BTW--Kristi, I love, love your owl ornament. Kristen would be so jealous. That's her new thing lately, owls. On everything.

      Delete
    3. that's cool, Margie! I'm not sure what started bebe's attachment - other than Pooh...maybe it's as simple as that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts