Tasty Tuesday - Easy Peasy Breakfast Casserole

Okay, before anyone asks, no there are no peas in this breakfast recipe. Peas are for lunch or dinner, not for breakfast. Green things should never be served at breakfast. Memorize that. Okay, one exception: green frosting on some donuts. That is the limit, people, I swear!

So, over the weekend, we had our first of several extended-family Christmas celebrations - 12 people, 2 days, 1 house...lots of food and fun were had. But one staple at every holiday gathering (at least with this specific group of people!) is a breakfast casserole. Because 1) it's easy to make ahead of time and 2) we all love it. This weekend was no different, but as we were talking and laughing and passing around the casserole dishes for seconds, I thought this would be the perfect recipe to share with you guys...because who doesn't need a fast, easy breakfast idea during the holidays?

What You Need:

6 eggs, beaten
1 package Ore Ida hash browns - I like the circle kind, not the shredded...but this time could only find the shredded. It was just as good. Who knew?
12 oz Cheddar Cheese (you could also use Velveeta, what's any casserole without Velveeta?!?)
16 oz Farmland Cubed Ham (if you have time and/or left overs and want to chunk your own ham, even better. You could also substitute sausage or bacon or any other breakfast meat)

Optional ingredients: 1/2 medium onion, chopped
                                1 green pepper, chopped

How you do it:

Coat the bottom of a 13X9 baking dish (I use Pyrex, do as you will) with Pam. Put the hashbrowns in a layer on the bottom, top that with the ham, then eggs and if you've chosen to include the onion and green pepper, throw that in now. Then top with the cheese. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes. **Note: This recipe will serve 6-8 people, depending on the level of hunger. And love of eggs, cheesy goodness and ham.

That's it - I like to make this the night before, that way the morning of the breakfast, I just need to pre-heat the oven and get back to the chatter. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Great recipe, Kristina! I made a casserole last Christmas and it was a huge hit. I'm going to make this one this year. LOVE that hash browns are included!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's delish, Katherine! Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM...I love breakfast casseroles too (sometimes we even have them for dinner..shhh...my family doesn't know! lol) and any recipe that uses hash browns is always tops on my list! Thanks for another recipe to add to my collection. Now here's hoping I have Christmas off from work so I can actually make one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - hope you get to enjoy the day at home! and your secret is safe with me - we do the same thing! :)

      Delete
  4. VERY Cool! I'm definitely printing this out, Kristi - my family will be very happy come Christmas morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a different breakfast casserole recipe that has bread but these hash browns look really good in it!

    Kristina, do you mix it up the night before and then just bake it or do you cook it and the warm it the next morning?

    I will definately try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. should have mentioned that - I mix it the night before, refrigerate and then cook it in the morning. Hope you enjoy, Stephanie!

      Delete
  6. Ah, ham a fond memory. Recipe sounds good though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so easy and looks delicious. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are like a recipe book. :)
    -R.T. Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds sooooo yummy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this recipe! It's great warmed over the next day--a quick breakfast as you're running out to work (or shop). The more cheese the merrier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE an easy recipe!! This one is a sure-fire keeper. Thanks Kristi!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great idea for the morning after the Christmas party. No fuss. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts