Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Resolutions and Goals, Oh, My!

I'm probably the last person in America to actually write down her resolutions for 2013. This being January 8 and all...but I have an excuse a reason for that, really I do. Actually two reasons: 1) we've been fighting the flu in our house since New Year's Eve and while I haven't been hit, I've done the Lysol-the-entire-house about twice/day for the past 8 days. And 2) I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. I believe in coming up with a plan of attack, and adjusting that plan of attack whether it's New Year's Day or a random Wednesday in May. I know, killjoy.


Take me, for example. One of my New Year's Goals in 2012 was to publish my first book. I made that resolution on January 4, 2012 - the day I sent a query off to a new publisher in the romance space. Crimson Romance. And things really went crazy from there. Not only did I publish my first book (What a Texas Girl Wants), I published a second book (The Saint's Devilish Deal) and was asked to make that first book into a series...enter writing two completely new, 50,000 word romances in a little less than six months. One of those series books was published in December (What a Texas Girl Needs) and the third will be published in June (What a Texas Girl Dreams).

Yes, 2012 was an amazing year for me. And 2013 is shaping up to be just as busy. I'm working on a new WIP - a suspense! Whee! - and a new series of novellas with a slight paranormal bent. I have no idea what will happen with them but I'm having such a fun time with these characters! And, I just found out I've been nominated for an award! Someone has nominated me as one of the Best New Authors of 2012 - I'm on a list with authors like Carrie Ann Ryan, Melissa Keir, Sara Walter-Elwood and Sheri Fredricks. I'm awed and honored and a little giddy about that. The Sizzling PR Sizzling Award Nominations are live through January 20 and there are a host of categories. You can vote for me (or whomever you choose) by clicking here.

My goals for 2013 aren't all writing related: I have a weight goal in there, a time management goal (as in, I want to manage my time better)...but mostly I'm looking forward to what 2013 brings. The challenges and the excitement, the amazing and the not-so-amazing.

I will say I like the idea of New Year's Resolutions. I just don't think you have to wait until a new year to make changes or start in a new direction. Because, really, each new day is a new opportunity to make those changes. What about you? Are you an 'each new day' person or do you wait for a big event to look at ways to improve or change?