Resolutions and Goals, Oh, My!

I'm probably the last person in America to actually write down her resolutions for 2013. This being January 8 and all...but I have an excuse a reason for that, really I do. Actually two reasons: 1) we've been fighting the flu in our house since New Year's Eve and while I haven't been hit, I've done the Lysol-the-entire-house about twice/day for the past 8 days. And 2) I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. I believe in coming up with a plan of attack, and adjusting that plan of attack whether it's New Year's Day or a random Wednesday in May. I know, killjoy.


Take me, for example. One of my New Year's Goals in 2012 was to publish my first book. I made that resolution on January 4, 2012 - the day I sent a query off to a new publisher in the romance space. Crimson Romance. And things really went crazy from there. Not only did I publish my first book (What a Texas Girl Wants), I published a second book (The Saint's Devilish Deal) and was asked to make that first book into a series...enter writing two completely new, 50,000 word romances in a little less than six months. One of those series books was published in December (What a Texas Girl Needs) and the third will be published in June (What a Texas Girl Dreams).

Yes, 2012 was an amazing year for me. And 2013 is shaping up to be just as busy. I'm working on a new WIP - a suspense! Whee! - and a new series of novellas with a slight paranormal bent. I have no idea what will happen with them but I'm having such a fun time with these characters! And, I just found out I've been nominated for an award! Someone has nominated me as one of the Best New Authors of 2012 - I'm on a list with authors like Carrie Ann Ryan, Melissa Keir, Sara Walter-Elwood and Sheri Fredricks. I'm awed and honored and a little giddy about that. The Sizzling PR Sizzling Award Nominations are live through January 20 and there are a host of categories. You can vote for me (or whomever you choose) by clicking here.

My goals for 2013 aren't all writing related: I have a weight goal in there, a time management goal (as in, I want to manage my time better)...but mostly I'm looking forward to what 2013 brings. The challenges and the excitement, the amazing and the not-so-amazing.

I will say I like the idea of New Year's Resolutions. I just don't think you have to wait until a new year to make changes or start in a new direction. Because, really, each new day is a new opportunity to make those changes. What about you? Are you an 'each new day' person or do you wait for a big event to look at ways to improve or change?

Comments

  1. Congratulations on reaching 2012's goals. I'm sure you'll reach this year's as well.
    Your stories look great!
    J.P. Grider

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for coming by, JP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the releases! I don't make New Year's resolutions but I do make goals throughout the year. I don't think goals should be restricted to a specific part of the year. I'm with you on the weight goal. I managed to lose 22 lbs in 2012. I wanted it to be 25 lbs but that wasn't to be. So my new goal is to shed that last 3 lbs. Then I'll figure out what my next weight loss goal will be. As for writing, I'd like to sign another contract but that's out of my control. So my goal is to grow and become a better writer.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're goals sound a lot like mine, Sharon - since I can't control the contracts thing, mine are to finish Book 1 by a certain date, then a second and third by certain dates...and from there to grow as a writer, work on my craft.

    And I *wish* I only had a 3 lb weight goal..alas, I'll be closer to your 22 (congrats on that!!!).

    Thanks for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More than resolutions, I have goals. My goal for 2013 is to make a strong run at another pub. I have 5 books coming out, but I want to make a dent in another one....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love goals. All types. :) I have tons of writing related goals, but this week, I've started a better health goal. (Diet is a 4 letter word.)

    Eating my lunch salad right now...

    Good luck and so glad to have met you this last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves at Lynn* good luck with the better health plan - I like that much better than 'diet', too!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kristina, I'm an on-again/off-again believer in New Year's Resolutions. The past few years (after going for years-and-years-and-years of not making any), I've had less tangible goals, like, "have more fun" or "practice gratitude...daily" or "breathe in hope, breathe out acceptance." While I still think those are GREAT resolutions, this year, I'm all about the tangible. So, mine is "no chips." As in, potato (esp. the Krinkle Cut, black-pepper-and-salt kind from Kettle Chips....oooh, I can just visualize that brown-paper packaging that says "hi, we're old fashioned, like our packaging and, really, nothing this old-fashioned can be bad for you, right???) Okay, back to the resolution. No potato, no corn, no cheese-like, etc., etc. None. I've developed a baaaad habit of indulging almost daily in these "empty calories" but no more! And the best thing about such a tangible resolution? I have no problem remembering if I've kept it. And so far, yep, I've kept it! Whereas those from years' past (more fun, more gratitude, more hope/acceptance)...not so sure! Good for you for all your accomplishments in 2012. Here's hoping to a fantastic (Lysol-free!) rest of 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kristi...you've have such an awesome 2012...Congratulations! I know 2013 will be full of even better things (if that's possible...lol)

    I also don't believe in resolutions, but definitely believe in setting goals. My list is quite small which makes it obtainable I hope :)

    Fingers crossed!

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, small goals are so much fun. Because you get to set new goals so quickly!!

      Delete
  9. Christine's right--your 2012 was awesome and I'm so glad! Right now, I'm just looking forward--every new day is an adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Liz...I have a plaque in my office that reads 'every day a new story begins'. Love that saying!

      Delete
  10. Kristi, congrats on a fabulous 2012. I bet 2013 will be even better. As for resolutions, I tend to use every Monday as a kick-off date - and usually have the sam resolution every week because by Wednesday I've fallen off the wagon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Margery. Here's to 2013 being bigger and better than any of us can imagine!

      Delete
  11. Great post Kristi and what a fab 2012! 2013 sounds like it's going to be fab too, congrats! As for me, in the back of my mind I'm always working towards something big (relatively speaking) but I do love a New Year to look back at where I was the previous year and how I am achieving what I should be. (next year it's going to be to make sense when I'm commenting on blogs LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Kristina!! And Happy New Year!! I don't think I've been able to tell you that yet. ;)

    I'm not one to make resolutions either. But I know I need to exercise more. That kind of comes with common sense so I don't count that as a resolution.

    I don't take one day at a time. I like to have a calendar and plan, plan, plan. That way, when obstacles come alone, I already have a road map and know where I can bend. I LOVE a calendar I got last year and found it again this year at Staples. Action Day Planner/Calendar 2013. What's great about this calendar is there is a full view of the calendar year by month at the beginning, then it breaks down into weeks. Weekly, there are task bars, project bars and so forth to keep you on task. LOVE it!!!The very beginning also has helpful tips on how to stay motivated and positive throughout the year. Highly recommended!!

    Cheerio!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, Kristina! You're always getting us thinking! (I voted for you by the way). I'm always trying to improve myself and I think the goal for 2013 is to learn how to juggle. And by that, I mean, find balance with all that I have going. I want to stay on top of my writing, but still make sure I pay attention to my family. I would love to make some money to make up for all we will be losing to taxes,mostly so my husband doesn't have to worry so much.His mother is already sick, so he doesn't need anything else to add to the strain. I'd also like to improve my time management skills so I can get to bed early and not keep my husband up. Congrats on a fabulous 2012 and I know that 2013 is going to shine for you because your a good person, you're talented, and you're a go-getter. Glad that I have you leading the way for me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts