Thursday, February 21, 2013

3 on Thursday - Favorite Things About Winter

I've been really whiny about winter lately. And it hasn't been that terrible of a winter. I think the big deal is that a couple of weeks ago we were in the sunny Caribbean and that has made the cold of home...well, colder. And it's brought out the whine. Today, I'm a little tired of the whine so I'm trying to embrace winter.

And that brings me to this post - my three favorite things about winter.

3. The icicles. Yeah, I'm weird. But I love seeing the icicles hanging from our roof in the winter. They catch the sunlight on those really cold days and shoot patterns of light into our house. It's really beautiful and it doesn't happen all the time. When it does, though, I just stop and stare.

2. Running the fireplace. This is probably and obvious one to those of you who live up North like we do. But one of my favorite things to do in winter is light a fire, cuddle up in my coziest PJs, grab a great book and settle in for a great read. This year that's been more fun than ever because RadioMan has his own Nook and it's gotten him reading...and bebe is reading her own books. It's great family time.

1. The cold, crisp air. I know, you're going to think I'm crazy with this one. But there is a single moment - usually the morning after a big storm - when you step outside. The air is crisp and so clean you can smell the wind. It's...one of the most beautiful nature moments ever. We've had several storms this year so I've experienced this a little more often than normal, and every time it almost hurts to breathe...and yet, I can't not take a big, deep breath.

So, what about you? Embrace the cold, people! What is your favorite thing about winter?