It's a Friday Favorite - Best Valentine Movies


I'm instituting a new feature here on the blog - the Friday Favorite. It might be a favorite movie, favorite book, favorite lipstick, favorite pair of shoes. Something that's my favorite because...well, *I* like finding new things. Especially when those new finds become a new favorite of my own.

Since it's Valentine's Day Weekend...I thought I'd start with a favorite romantic flick. So, without further ado, the Friday Favorite!

Number 3 on my list: Casablanca. It's Bogey and Bergman, you can't go wrong with them!

Okay, I know it doesn't have the traditional happy ending, but there is that hint. Plus, Casablanca is one of the best movies. Ever. I love the ambiance, the storyline. The romantic tension of will they or won't they. Ahhhhh....

Number 2 on my list: The Holiday. So, technically this is a Christmas-themed flick. But I love it and it is romantic and there's the Jude Law factor. And Cameron Diaz is spastically funny (as always). And Kate Winslet has some one of the best movie character arcs (for me) ever. When she finally sees through Jasper, when she's ready to move on...I just scream right along with her. Oh, and Eli Wallach (older, next-door- neighbor in LA, Arthur Abbott) steals every scene he's in. So, grab The Holiday for a little holiday schmaltz and a lot of great romance.

My Friday Favorite: An Affair to Remember. This, for me, is a two tissue box flick. But it really doesn't get much better than Deborah Kerr and Carey Grant.

Here's the brief on the movie, just in case you haven't seen it:

Handsome playboy Nicky Ferrante and beautiful night club singer Terry McKay have a romance while on a cruise from Europe to New York. Despite being engaged to other people, both agree to reunite at the top of the Empire State Building in six months. However, an unfortunate accident keeps Terry from the reunion, and Nicky fears that she has married or does not love him anymore. Will he discover the truth behind her absence and reunite with his one true love, or has fate and destiny passed them by?

His low point when she doesn't come to their rendezvous? Tragic. His anger when he finally does see her again? Perfect. And when he realizes why she didn't come and he takes that step to get her back anyway? Oh, happy sigh.

So, there you have it. Flicks filled with schmaltz (even is one is set over Christmas) always get me this time of year. What about you? What's your favorite movie for Valentine's Day?

Comments

  1. We talked about this yesterday. I love your favorites. Mine are (never just one, naturally) PRETTY WOMAN and STEEL MAGNOLIAS. I know that's not a romance, per se, but it's about the most loving movie I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Steel Magnolias. Such a great flick - did you see the remake with Queen Latifah on Lifetime a few months ago? *sigh* Was great...not as good as the original, but really, really good.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:56 AM

    I love Mama Mia and the newer version of the Thomas Crown Affair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many I can't pick just one, but Romancing the Stone is right up there along with Top Gun and Dirty Dancing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *just* watched Romancing the Stone last weekend, Margery. Love that flick!

      Delete
  4. I love all these films, Steel Magnolias is pure fabulous. My fave romance movie? Anything with Meg Ryan in, Sleepless in Seattle, You've got Mail...I love Tom Hanks too. Oh and that one with Michelle Pfiefer and George Clooney...One Fine Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a sweet one. And Sleepless in Seattle is in my top 10 - didja know they mention An Affair to Remember in that one?

      Delete
  5. Do you know I'm not really a fan of any of these movies? Casablanca, I guess. But...I knew Carey Grant! He came to the guest ranch I grew up on in N. Cali. A nice man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool, D'Ann! He is one of my fave from the Silver Screen Era.

      Delete
  6. Will you unfriend me if I say I've never seen Casablanca? LOL. The other two I have seen though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, you won't be the only one unfriended.. I never say it or the other movies either... Great new feature, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opps.. I meant SAW not SAY....LOL

      Delete
  8. Anonymous8:35 AM

    Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the web the simplest
    thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked
    while people consider worries that they just do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the
    whole thing without having side effect , people could take a
    signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

    my site: kredit troz schufa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts