Pruning the Excess

 Since we moved into our new house three years ago, RadioMan and I have been talking about taking one of the ginormous locust trees out of our back yard. We loved the trees but hated the mess of them. Plus, one of the trees was way too close to the house for comfort. Yesterday, one of the trees was removed and the other trimmed back. The backyard is a whole other place now. This tree to the right? The tree that left us. :(

It was a great tree - probably 65 feet high. But see those big base limbs? Yeah. There were limbs that big hanging over our house and also over the neighbors roof. And I may or may not have mentioned this a time or twelve but we get serious snow and ice up here on the North Coast. Yeah, that tree was just waiting to cause some damage. So, while I'm sorry to see it go, I'm also relieved because I don't have to worry about it any more.

Once that tree was out of the way, the workers started in on the second tree. The Keeper Tree as we're calling it now. That tree also had some low-hanging limbs, some reaching across to our other neighbor's house. But, it is farther back in the yard and so it doesn't pose a danger to our house...or the neighbor's, really. But still it needed a lot of work. So the crews started pruning.

As I watched them work through the excess I had a light bulb moment. I've been in my edit cave for the past week, working on a new WIP - a WIP that's been requested by an editor. Yay! But I had the feeling all last week that something just wasn't quite right about it. So I did my usual - make it a larger font, change the font and change the font color. Print it out and read away from my computer.

What I found? I'd gotten a little extra-wordy in places. I was describing things into submission instead of focusing on the emotional reactions of my characters, their needs/wants and the story. Because description doesn't make a story. It can add a little balance - if using in proportion to the rest of the book. It can add depth. It can give the reader a sense of time and place. But overusing description - I mean, who really needs a four-page-description of a living room? (No, I didn't go that far, but a few areas were...very overly described.) That can take the reader right out of the book and into...boredom.

So, as the workers were pruning our big, beautiful locust trees, I thought about how I'd pruned the beginning half of the new WIP. How I'd made it better. How I'd changed a few scenes and strengthened a character. And in the end that mess of a tree and that pile of excess that took up our entire side yard and that was stacked up to our windowsills? It looks beautiful and when it blossoms in the spring? It will add the perfect amount of shade to our home...

As for the new WIP, it's shaping up nicely, too, now that I've pruned out the excess.

How about you? Do you enjoy the editing process? Or it is just a necessary evil?

Comments

  1. We also have big, beautiful fir and cedar trees very close our house. Although I don't want to cut them down--they give our home the feeling of living in the woods, lol--we have decided to get a little work done to them called spiraling. This procedure takes off branches to lighten the load.

    I actually love going back through my MS, cutting, trimming, and lightening my overdone descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an eye-opener for me, Brenda, because I usually hate the editing part...this time, I loved how it made the WIP stronger. Good luck with your trees!

      Delete
  2. Good post, Kristi, although my heart aches for that tree. I hate to see them go, although I understand you have to be safe. I kind of mourn when I have to cut words in my ms, too. I'm not wordy, though, so ususally it's adding, not taking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sad to see it go, D'Ann. And now there is a big dirt area where they had to fill from the stump removal. That stump! OMG, a story in itself!

      Delete
  3. Editing is a learning process. The first book I wrote ended at 140k words. I cut 20k and though it hurt, the end product was excellent. Like your Locust tree, a little pruning can go a long way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can, Sheri! Thanks for visiting today!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:29 AM

    Cutting down trees is hard, but totally understand. You can always plant another!
    Good luck on editing, keep on keeping on!
    Neecy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neecy...I'm actually already thinking about a replacement tree, farther back in the yard. Maybe a red maple this time...

      Delete
  5. I like editing, once I bite my lip and tell myself that cutting words out is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh...editing...not my favorite thing to do but necessary. There's a quote from the movie 'Finding Forrester' "Write your first draft with your heart. Re-write with your head." Writing from the heart is easy. Re-writing not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that quote, Sonya, thanks for sharing! I'm going to tack that up on my board!

      Delete
  7. I love editing, as you know, but I hate trees coming down (I'm too old to grow new ones.) That being said, I must admit that when we had to pull down two trees in the side yard, we got a spectacular view to the west. So...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've helped me with editing so many times, Liz!! It was weird waking up this morning and not seeing that tree out the back window...it's a totally different view now!

      Delete
  8. What a great analogy :) Editing and tree pruning have much in common. Sometimes it's painful, but it's for the greater good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely, Shelley! Thanks for visiting today.

      Delete
  9. I love, love, love to edit. It's my favorite part of the process. Changing a word here, a word there can make all the difference and I love finding exactly the right word. I like taking sentences out, rearranging paragraphs. I love the satisfaction of making it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sharon, I soooo need to be you when I grow up! I *like* the editing process, but it's still a little bit of that necessary evil.

      Delete
  10. Tratamente detoxifiere, Tratamente naturiste, remedii naturiste, Produse naturiste doar pe ekiibrium.ro. Va asteptam!
    ......................................
    tratament
    tratamente
    produse naturiste
    tratamente naturiste
    remedii naturiste
    detoxifiere
    http://www.ekilibrium.ro

    Considering that clients are our most valuable assets, we are putting our best effort in offering them the services of our specialized franchise lawyers. The Franchise lawyers that Redchip has are experienced and well trained to take good care of your business. The franchise lawyer will act in your best interest even if it is just an advice or an entire process.
    brisbane lawyers
    lawyers brisbane
    commercial disputes
    commercial litigation
    franchise lawyer
    property lawyer brisbane
    commercial lawyer Brisbane
    dispute resolution brisbane
    estate planning brisbane
    asset protection brisbane
    tax lawyer brisbane
    business structuring brisbane
    commercial disputes brisbane
    franchise solicitor brisbane
    commercial litigation brisbane
    http://www.redchip.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. Working with skilled house builders from Brisbane we took our projects to a high level of performance. Our clients have the benefit of enjoying their new home with doing anything. The house builders in Brisbane are ecognized by excellent work that they have done creating exclusive and unique places to live in. You have to tell us your dreams, and with the help of our house builders from Brisbane will make it become true.
    house builders brisbane
    home builder brisbane
    home renovations Brisbane
    http://www.olemus.com.au


    Thinking about your needs and desires we developed special services when it comes to accommodation Brisbane CBD. We offer you accommodation Brisbane CBD special packages that conceived just for you, our customers in order to choose the best. The accommodation Brisbane CBD has trained stuff that will make you journey easier and relaxing.
    --------------------
    brisbane hotels
    hotel accommodation brisbane
    accommodation brisbane cbd
    hotel brisbane cbd
    http://www.rothburyhotel.com.au


    Expert Training va ofera o gama variata de cursuri acreditate si cursuri calificare. Va asteptam.
    --------------------
    curs calificare
    inspector resurse umane
    cursuri acreditate
    Curs calificare inspector resurse umane
    http://www.experttraining.ro

    ReplyDelete

  12. Aging is a problem for all of us, and when the lotions do not accomplish their goals we go further. This means using a dermal filler treatment. There is nothing shameless in doing it. Everyone does the dermal filler no matter if they are men or women. We all want to feel go
    --------------------
    Microdermabrasion
    Dermal fillers
    Skin Clinic Brisbane
    Botox Brisbane
    cosmetic clinic Brisbane
    clinic Brisbane
    www.shineclinic.com

    We can treat your dental trauma with the ultimate technology
    --------------------
    root canal
    root canal treatment
    root canal therapy
    dental trauma
    dental injuries
    endodontist brisbane
    endodontic group brisbane
    endodontics brisbane
    www.endodonticgroup.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts