What I Love About Peter Pan

It's no secret that I have a 4 year old. Or that she's a bit of a movie expert. And since we share a lot of the same tastes (princesses, adventures, Winnie the Pooh) we watch together. A lot. Just a couple of weeks ago, one of my favorite Disney flicks (Peter Pan) was released from the Vault - you know where they put the movies so we all have to buy 'new and improved' versions every few years.

I was really excited to see Pan coming out of the vault and since it was right around Valentine's Day...yep, it became bebe's V-Day surprise - complete with a family movie night, popcorn and double chocolate milk to drink. But I digress.

As I was watched, completely absorbed just like when I was a kid, I realized what I like best about the movie: it's smart. It doesn't talk down to the kids watching and it reminds we adults that there is nothing wrong with a little magic.

I love the beginning, when Peter is trying to soap his shadow back onto his person. I love it when the kids learn to fly and the fights with Captain Hook. But my favorite part of the whole movie is the ending. Remember in the beginning Mr. Darling is upset and tripping all over the nursery toys and he tells Wendy it's her last night in the nursery? There is a line at the end that shows how he has come full-circle - he's already decided Wendy can stay in the nursery and then he looks out the window and sees the shadow of Captain Hook's ship floating by the moon and he says, "You know, I have the strangest feeling that I've seen that ship before. A long time ago, when I was very young."

I love that line because, we've all seen that ship, haven't we? We see the ship all the time when we're young and as we grow up, we see it less and less. I saw the ship - literally on screen and figuratively through bebe - as we were watching. When I'm lucky, I see it as I'm writing a new chapter or beginning a new book. And I see it, often, through bebe's eyes as she is learning or experiencing something new.

Of all the things I love about being a mom, 'seeing the ship' is my favorite part. So I'm trying to remember to see the ship - like some people stop and smell the roses - how about you?

Comments

  1. What a wonderful post, and a great reminder, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for coming by, Liz! Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Kristi. I've never seen the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful - if you have a video store (or Netflix) I'd say rent it. :) Thanks for coming by, Margery!

      Delete
  3. Good post, Kristi! I don't really like animated movies, but this one I do like. I love the revisits to childhood. Cherish them. They fly by very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I already dread when she's out of the princess stage...of course, at that point she might be ready for The Neverending Story and The Princess Bride... ;)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:29 PM

    I think when you are an adult it's called being fanciful. I get accused of that a lot. Like the time when someone told me that the yard in the back of the local newspaper building was becoming a haven for hens, no roosters allowed. She said as she drove up the driveway a lone hen walked up it and turned to go to the back. I all of a sudden had an image of a hen holding a small suitcase in one wing, wearing a bonnet trudging up the drive to the hen refuge. Kind of like seeing the ship.

    The trick is to continue to allow children to use their imaginations as they grow. Something our school system tries to knock out of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We encourage her imaginative moods, Ella, as much as we can...those moments are precious! And I'm loling at the hen sanctuary, that is hilarious!

      Delete
  5. Awe, what a fun family night. I still have those with my kids (animated moves and all) and they're all teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our tradition continues for a long time, Sharon!

      Delete
  6. I love Peter Pan! The "never grow up" thing didn't appeal to me when I was a child, but now, boy oh boy, do I miss childhood. I thought being an adult meant you could do whatever you want. My parents warned me that I was way off the mark, but I didn't listen. I smile now about the times I've repeated those same words to my children and I know they will say it again to theirs. But still, I take the time to dream. I have to remeber sometimes to slow down and look for the ship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love letting my little daydreams take wing, Shawn, nothing wrong with that!

      Delete
  7. That's what that was! Thank you (and Bebe) for pointing it out to me. I started a new story a couple of nights ago and as the characters spoke to me, shared their story, I felt deep excitement literally tingling in me. I feel it now just talking about it...I see the ship! Perfect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Im glad you saw it, Calisa! Now get it written so we can see it, too!!

      Delete
  8. Oh I do love this movie!!! My kids love it too :)
    My sister actually took a course in college called 'Disney Digest' and learned quite a bit about all the old Disney movies such as this one :)

    Feel free to browse my blogs too :)
    http://pregnantquestions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this post, Kristi. It not only captures the essence of Peter Pan but also one of the best rewards of parenthood--getting to relive great moments from your own childhood with your kids. (And you get to do it again if you become a grandparent!) Sweet reminder. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Peggy...some days the mommy bit is really, really hard, but these moments make the stressful moments worth it!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous5:36 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peter Pan is one of my all-time faves. I even quote it at work when giving directions. "Straight ahead and onto morning." You made me want to watch it. I might have to break down and buy it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts