3 on Thursday - Procrastination!

Shhhh! I'm gonna let you in on a little secret: I'm a procrastinator. Actually, the secret is that I think most of us are. Because, given the choice between work and play, don't we usually pick play? Even when getting the work done sooner means we have more time to play later?

Yeah, I think so, too.

Procrastination is fun, say, when a trip to the dentist is around the corner. Well, until the root canal comes calling.

For we writers, sometimes its the Black Moment of our WIPs or sometimes even starting a WIP or, when the writing is really good, it's finishing a WIP. Because as much as we love our characters it can be sad to see them waltz off into the sunset.

Lately I've been a little bit of a procrastinator. Not terribly, but had I not been _____ I'd have had many less late nights catching up on things like laundry. Or grocery shopping or (gasp) work! So, what's been calling my name and keeping me away from the ugly chores of dusting and cooking dinner?

3. Social media. Seriously. I know social media is part of the job description these days, but I get sucked into Facebook or Twitter or Pinterest (pinterest is eeeebel, lemme tell you) and before I know it an hour is gone and I'm still...not doing whatever is on my To Do List.

2. Really good books. This isn't an unusual thing. I'll choose reading over just about anything any day of my life. But I started a Jill Shalvis series (Lucky Harbor) recently and I just can't get enough.

1. Lego City: Undercover. It's a new video game, and we've been playing it as a family (hey, it's not procrastination if it's family time, right?) but I realized last week that there were extra, hidden gems of goodness - like an exploration of a cave in which I got to blow things up and the scaling of a tower using grapple guns and flag poles for swinging and...Oh, it's just too much fun.

So there you go, the things keeping me preoccupied lately. So, tell me, are you a procrastinator? Do you fall into time-sucks? What's the best method of getting out of the mire?

Comments

  1. I am a terrible procrastinator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for coming by today, D'Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those all sound like worthy reasons for...uhm, delaying things a bit! Good post, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My list is long and endless, but to narrow it down to three???

    Well, lately, it's been:

    Jigsaw puzzle while watching Ally McBeal on Netflix.

    Legos--the real ones.

    and reading.

    Oh wait. I was supposed to tell you how to get out of the mire. Well, hell, that's akin to knowing the secret of the universe. Sorry. I got nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Margie! You're so right - getting out of the mire is as hard as clearly stating the meaning of life! And we've been playing real legos, too...bebe's enjoying building some Lego City buildings!

      Delete
  5. My biggest time suck is (gasp) reality tv. Number 2, a really good book. I can't count the grands as a time suck because I think they are the best way to spend my time. Getting out of the mire? Haven't figured it out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way! Kiddos are never a time suck! :) And reality TV - yeah, I got that one, too, Shawn!

      Delete
  6. Twitter and Pinterest are my time sucks. Reading too, but not as much as Twitter and Pinterest. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest is the time suck vortex. I go over there for five minutes and five hours later I'm all ,'where'd the day go?' Thanks for visiting, Sharon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts