3 on Thursday to get Moving!

Being a writer is the most amazing job in the world. No, I'm not curing cancer but I do get to help people find love, find themselves, and begin living happily. The people in my head are very real to me as I'm writing and my hope is always that something in my books (or any authors books) will connect with 'real' people and help them figure things out.

There is one drawback to all of this, however: I sit in a chair for long hours each day writing my words, editing sentences and some days just trying to figure out what to say. That sitting? Not great for the metabolism or the derriere. Plus, when things aren't going well, chocolate is involved.

Here's how I keep things together in the health department when I spend most of a given day on my ... well, you know: Exercise. This weeks 3 on Thursday: 3 favorite ways to get moving!

3. Taking a walk. Wherever I am in the writing, if I'm stuck or just need to clear my head, I'll take a walk. Somedays it's a quick lap around the neighborhood with my book playlist going. Some days it's a longer sweat-inducing walk/jog program. Depends. But walking is a great way to get moving (literally and figuratively).

2. Getting in the water. Most of you know I teach deep water running at our local Y two nights each week. And I fill in as needed for other classes. And I've been known to hit the pool on my own when I need to clear my head. Water (whether its a beach or a pool) has always been an inspiring place for me.

1. Dance. The picture above is one of my favorite video games - it's sweaty, hard work (Yes, you have to get OFF the couch or office chair) with one massive benefit: if I trip over my clutzy feet no one will see me. I love Zumba - it's works the core, legs and arms. Plus, it's dance so it's over and you're hot, sweaty and feeling great before you even realize its work. The Just Dance games also now have a workout section, so thats another way to get moving and dancing away from the computer.

Okay, what's your favorite way to get moving? 

Comments

  1. I'm a walker--when I'm not being too lazy and the weather cooperates. I also have exercise DVDs that I burn calories by dusting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dusting burns calories? I may have to revisit my non-dusting rule now! lol

      Walking is one of my faves, whether I'm walking for sweaty-excercise or to clear my head. Thanks for visiting, Liz!

      Delete
  2. I confess, I've become very bad at excersize. I used to do water classes and walk. I keep trying to get back to it, but just can't seem to get motivated...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'll get there, D'Ann..maybe start with just a short walk before work - once your weather clears!!

      Delete
  3. I've been doing the 30 Day Shred and walking... plus a little yoga for abs thrown in for good measure. It's working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the shred workouts are killer, Teri. I love those!!!

      Delete
    2. I'm in awe of you. I tried 30 Day Shred. It lasted 2 days before I gave up. Those are so hard! I admire anyone who can do it.

      Delete
  4. Last year towards the end of summer--okay a week before the rain set in--I bought a bike with a basket. It's just a regular bike--think Minnie Driver in Return To Me--that I thought I could tool around the neighborhood and ball park with.

    Have a I ridden it yet? Nope. But I am determined that I will this spring and summer. My goal is to get into some sort of routine and ride regularly.

    I walk so much at work that the last thing I want to do when I'm off is go for a walk, but a bike ride? I can totally picture that. Now, if the weather would just cooperate with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love bike riding...and now that bebe's getting older, I plan to add that to my exercise routine, too. Great tip, Margie!

      Delete
  5. Oh, the guilt. I need to exercise. Good for you, Kristi, for working off the sitting-induced problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm trying, Shay! Some days are better than others, lol

      Delete
  6. Hi Kristina!

    I gained 20 at Christmas time. Wish I could say it was from writing, but my rolls are from pure egg nog. So it's time to step it up. I usually do Gilad Bodies in Motion as a staple. Just ordered Brazilian butt and hip hop abs. Waiting! I got one of those thigh masters I keep my the desk.
    -Kara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the thigh master!!! haven't heard about one of them in ages - you'll have to tell us how you like BBL and HHA, Kara!

      Delete
  7. Usually by the time I sit down to write it's after work. I work in retail so I'm on my feet running around for 6-8 hours a day. When I write, I kick my tired, sore feet up. Although I might try that Zumba. I've heard great things about it and I definitely need to do something like that in the privacy of my own living room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. privacy is a good thing with zumba, Sharon. At least for me - I have zero rhythm...but I can just flail to my hearts content at home and not worry what I look like. Well, much...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts