Thirsty Thursday! Mocha Mudslides, Comin' Up!


I took this picture on our cruise in February, so, while it's wasn't summer it felt like it. Plus, it's a beach and y'all know how I feel about beaches.
They make me happy.
It’s no secret that summer is one of my four favorite seasons. Sure, in winter you can watch the snow fall and in spring there are new flowers budding and the crunch of fallen leaves in autumn is kind of musical…but in summer you kind of get the best of every season. At least where I live. Except winter, but, really, who needs or wants snow in the middle of July?
What I like best about summer is that (at least where we live) one day can be hot and muggy and upwards of 100 degrees, but the next can be breezy and warm with a high in the 70s. I like those changes. My allergies don’t, but I do. Because there is nothing better on a really hot day than lazing beside the pool with a cold margarita. And on those slightly cooler days, it’s wonderful to open the windows while listening to the rain fall. Because (again, where we live) when it cools, rain can’t be far behind. Those changes keep me on my toes.
But my absolute favorite part of summer is the treats: watermelon fresh from the garden, home-made ice cream with freshly picked strawberries and a dollop of hot fudge, grilled corn-on-the-cobb and the smell of lilacs coming through my window. I could enjoy those things forever.
And, come on, you know you took a second look at that nicely tanned, shirtless road worker the other day. You know, the one who’s six-pack had a six-pack – of the non-beer variety. You don’t see that in winter. At least not around here.
My favorite-favorite treat is my version of a mudslide – basically a mocha shake with a smidge of alcohol. Here’s my recipe (which will serve 2-4 adults, assuming they wanna share):
2 Cups of Vanilla ice cream
2 oz Kahlua coffee liqueur
Hershey’s syrup, to taste
Redi-Whip
1 Cherry
Blend the ice cream and Kahlua until smooth. Grab your glass and the syrup (you bought the squeeze bottle, right? Okay, if you didn’t you need the squeeze bottle). Twist the glass in a circle and while turning squirt the chocolate syrup in; it should make a spiral. If it doesn’t it won’t be as pretty but it will taste the same. Pour the ice cream mixture in, top with Redi-Whip  and a cherry and voila! A great summer time treat. Oh, and if you really like chocolate, add a spritz of syrup over the whipped cream. Finally, if you’re not a drinker, sub non-alcoholic Kahlua for the alcoholic and voila! No heavy head in the AM.
So, what is your favorite treat of the summer?

Comments

  1. Great post, Kristi! It's been a cool rainy spring here in VA, but I know the hot weather is on the way. And I don't do well with the heat, so I like the early mornings and late evenings best when some of the humidity is gone. LOL

    I'm not a big drinker--Fuzzy Navel wine coolers are about the extent of my summer drinking! But a favorite summer treat is a fresh fruit smoothie. I take 6-7 cubes of ice, fresh fruit (strawberries, bananas, peaches, mangoes--whatever you like) dump that into a blender, add a couple of packets of Splenda (or sugar if you prefer) and blend until smooth. Tres yummy! And you could always add a little rum just to chill you out even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we *love* smoothies, Jenna...will try your recipe, for sure!

      Delete
  2. I'm all for Margaritas, but we can't drink those all summer long. I like to make what is a beautiful water, filling a clear glass pitcher with water, sprigs of mint, and a few thin slices of cucumber. With tons of ice, this is most refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just tried something similar to this, Lala and *loved* it. Refreshing is key when the heat climbs!

      Delete
    2. I have to try this. I've read about it several times, but haven't had it yet.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Sounds delicious! I'm not much of a drinker, but I do enjoy one every now and then. My favorite summer drink is Suntea. Oh, I just love it! Especially on those really hot days with my favorite tea bags in a glass jar-no plastic here! Yep-it's the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way - suntea in a plastic jar is scariledge, Jennifer! Thanks for visiting. I'm a suntea fan, myself!

      Delete
  4. These all sound so good! Yum! I just like plain old Pepsi, almost frozen, to where it's slushy! Yummy on a hot day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a 7-11 not far from our house that makes real Pepsi slushies...Oh, so good!!

      Delete
  5. I was trying to think of a favorite while I was reading the replies here, and figured out I just don't have one, but I like them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nothing wrong with that, Liz...variety is the spice of life, right?!? :D

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:04 PM

    Strawberry daqs for the alcoholic drink, ice tea for non-alcoholic. Other treats would be chocolate Frostys and banana splits. :)

    Pen
    pmettert@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts