The 3 Stages of Writing A First Draft...According to Kristina

I've been knee-deep in book release fun and hip-deep in a new series I'm working on. . .and that has made for some lively dinner conversation over the past couple of weeks. And maybe a few crazy looks from RadioMan and bebe, who try to understand the craziness of writing, but he's pushing 40 and she's just 4 and neither one of them are really writers so, yeah. There's that.

Last night I went to bed excited about the new project and ready to start a new chapter but so tired I knew I needed some rest or veddy bad things would happen. And then I woke up thinking, 'It's drek. It's bad. So bad. So very, very bad...' Which brings me to the purpose of this post: The 3 Stages of Writing...according to Me.

And I have video clips because I know how much you girls all LOVE my video clips (not that I'm starring, but I've had both of these moments, in slightly different context...so it'll give you the drift). With that...here's:

Stage 1: I Am The Awesome, in which everything that is making its way from your brain through your fingers and onto your laptop screen is amazing. Perfect. The best thing ever.

Starring Rue McClanahan as Blanche Deveraux on The Golden Girls:



Stage 2: What the He!! Was I Thinking, in which you realize the very large plot hole that has developed and that you know how to fix.

Starring Whoopi Goldberg as Rose Schwartz in Soapdish:



Stage 3: I'm Done! Finished! Complete! And I can fix anything that doesn't work. AKA: The HappyDance Phase:

Starring Alfonso Ribeiro as Carlton Banks on The Fresh Prince of BelAir:



Okay, you wild and crazy writer peeps, what would you add?

Comments

  1. Love the clips, Kristina! :) Best wishes.
    -R.T. Wolfe

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I'm in my coffee shop so can't play the clips!! I think you've nailed the 3 stages, I can't think of anymore, plus I'm in the middle of the first stage and clearly this is going to last for ever, right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, Cait, come back when you're home - the clips are hysterical. Or, yanno, I think they are! lol

      Yay for first draft stage!! :D

      Delete
  3. What a fun post, Kristi! I had to watch the clips, too. Thanks for starting my morning off with a smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for coming by, Margery, so glad you enjoyed! I think that GG clip is my favorite TV-show-moment of all time. Blanche is just hysterical!

      Delete
  4. I don't know what I'd add...I think you have it down perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this! Do we all have the same self-doubt then? I thought it was just me! :)
    There is no final stage for me yet...I always feel I could tweak it just a bit more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even after a book is contracted, I feel that way, Rachel...always *something* I'd like to tweak. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. I never watched Golden Girls, but I was riveted to Blanche! OMG! Hysterical! LOVE Soapdish--and I found one of those plot holes last night in my outline. (Yike!) Can't wait for the Happy Dancing stage with current WIP! Excellent and fun post, Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenna! I found GG late - like within the last couple of years. But they are hysterical most of the time. Blanche is definitely my fave - and this scene is part of the reason. Thanks for visiting - good luck with the plothole and get ready to happy-dance!!

      Delete
  7. Funny. Golden Girls was my grandpa's favorite show. He watched the reruns every night and my grandma complained throughout it. Old ladies don't like sex--and if you remember my stories about my grandmother from the crit list, you'll see why that's so funny.

    As for the writing timeline--nailed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I remember your grandma, Margie! :D

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  8. OMG I love Carlton!!!! LOL. This made me so laugh because I'm sort of in between stage 2 and 3. Not quite finished but seeing my happy dance in the near future. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it when I get to Happy Dance ~ hope you get there soon, Sharon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts