Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes!

So, just about a week ago a fairly significant happening...well, happened. bebe lost her first tooth. Her lower central incisor, to be exact.

We knew it was coming. At her summer dentist appointment (which she passed with pearly-white colors) the x-rays showed her adult teeth *rightthere* underneath the babies.

That's the tooth, right there on the left. Isn't it tiny? Seriously, it's about half the size of my pinkie nail - teeth aren't supposed to be that small, are they?

bebe was, of course, equal parts excited and horrified that it happened. Probably didn't help that she was eating a pancake when it decided to kerplunk right out of her mouth. Or that there was a smidgen of blood as the final root let go.

And, in just over a week, we go to her new school for Kindergarten Orientation and to meet her new teacher. And just over a week after that she'll be in school (all day, every day). Or that (so we're told) by the end of Kindergarten she'll have written her first 'term paper'. Yeah, my jaw dropped at that one, too, and then the teacher explained that it would only be a paragraph or so...but, still, a term paper in Kindergarten?

All of this is making me...well, a little nostalgic for those all-nighters we spent with her. Walking the neighborhood at all hours of the wee morning? I'll take it. Singing lullabies? Gimme another year of that. Waiting and waiting for her just to crawl? Oh, how much fun we had during tummy time!

And that's how it came to be that Kristina learned she's really not at all good with change. Not even a little bit. But at least I have the clippings from her first hair cut and her first tooth to keep me warm at night.

How about you? Good with change? Any secrets you'd care to share?

Comments

  1. Oh, God. It goes so fast.
    Change and I are not friends. It often spirals me into a dark depression, not the blues, as it has this horrible summer.
    Hold onto the good while you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, D'Ann! And I love every second of it...I'm just not ready for Kindergarten, I don't think. She is. I'm not...

      Delete
  2. Oh geeze, my daughter is 22 and just yesterday she was a baby. Then we turned around and she was in pre-school and kindergarten then we were worried about elementary school, middle school and *gasp* high school! It goes really, really fast. I can't believe she's grown. Hold on to your hat because there will be a lot of changes between now and when she puts on her cap and gown. :)

    Cheryl G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lord, I'm tearing up just thinking about cap-and-gown time!

      Delete
  3. Not good with change, either, but I do love memories, and you have some dandies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm holding on to all of them, Liz, believe me!

      Delete
  4. Aw, it's not so bad, Kris. Once she gets to that age she comes to tell you her secrets, then it gets scary. :) These days are wondrous so embrace them! PS. I have almost every single tooth my three girls ever lost, labeled and dated. ;) Does this mean I'm good with change? No, but I do have some fun memories to keep me warm as I watch life repeat with my beautiful granddaughters. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw, I'm glad you kept them. Labels and all! I have hers hidden in my jewelry box right now...and she just stopped by to have me check *another* wobbly tooth. Gah!

      Delete
  5. I find change difficult when it's happening, but exciting when I look back on it. Watching kids grow and change and mature is a proud moment for any parent, but also a little sad. Great,lol, now I'll be pulling out baby pics of my kids tonight and probably tearing up a bit for things that were :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the picture time, Christine! I think I'm very much like you - I don't like it as it's coming at me (like now) but when I have a little distance, I can cope. Maybe that's the secret - just holding on during the ride and looking back with excitement.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous3:18 PM

    I'm pretty good with change-I've learned to roll with it. But, when it comes to my kids-not so much, lol. It's very hard to see them grow up and it hits me at unexpected times. And I already have one in college! All I can say is cherish every moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One in college? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....

      Delete
  7. They grow like weeds. Driver's Ed and college and her wedding are right around that corner in the near distance. You love her, and that's what counts...for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lord, I'm tearing up again. The *wedding*. Gah!!

      Delete
  8. Oh, Kristi, they do grow like weeds. I can't beleive my baby boy is driving and will be turning 17 in a few months and my baby girl will be 13 in a few days!

    All I can say is remember her past and rejoice in her future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great advice, Sara, thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  9. Kristi, Someone should explain to these silly kids that you'd prefer that they stay little forever. But watching your children grow and develop little personalities is truly one of life's treats.
    Someone once told me that change happens- you can capitalize on it, or capsize under it. My recommendation is to capture it all. Document their growth and changes in pictures, journals, letters to them that you give them on their 21st birthday. You'll probably have a good laugh with them over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a journal that is set aside for the clever little quips she comes up with, Gemma...Hopefully I can start filling it with actual conversations and stories for her, too. And letters - what a fab idea!

      Delete
  10. Aww! Congrats to little Bebe! It's now time to remind the tooth fairy to keep extra cash on hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill, she was setting a trap for the Tooth Fairy's Unicorn. Because *all* TFs ride unicorns. And she wants a unicorn. The money was secondary...at least so far. lol

      Delete
  11. Well this got lots of comments. As a single person, I have no advice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts