The Need to Read

I've been feeling a little...overworked, lately. Not because I actually *am* overworked - oh the joys that will bring. And I'm so not kidding. I thrive on deadlines, and I have a few right now...but not so many that I wake up after only 60 minutes of sleep because I can't afford more. But still I've been feeling drained and overworked and generally blechy.

So over the weekend I took some 'me' time. With the family right down the hall. Buried my nose in a book or three and just read. Yeah, I broke to play with the kiddo, make meals (or at least call in the orders) and talk to my husband. But mostly, I read. I escaped into some of my favorite authors. Journeyed into a few happily ever afters with some great characters.

And my mood changed. Yeah, I'm still feeling a little stressed because, in addition to the fiction and non-fiction I'm also a fitness instructor and bebe is getting ready to start school and there is the volunteering that comes with that. But I realized halfway through the second book that I hadn't been reading. Yeah, I'd skimmed a few articles and looked at some pictures in magazines, but I hadn't sat down with any books since...well, before summer started.

For me writing - whether nonfiction or fiction - is tied in to reading. When I'm reading it makes me a better writer. I see connections between characters and plot that I don't always see when I'm so focused on writing that I'm not taking the time to read and enjoy other stories.

Do you find that to be true?

Comments

  1. I turned on my Kindle this morning because I knew a new, pre-ordered book (Robyn Carr) would be on there. Lo and behold, there were THREE, so think I need a reading day! (Truth compels me to admit I had one yesterday, too.) They are good for the heart--hope you enjoyed your weekend.

    Oh, your question...I don't know. Sometimes it makes me better, but sometimes I just think, Why am I trying to do this? because some of the writers I read are so very good.

    Good post, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem, Liz. Some days, reading reinforces why I'm doing this...some days I wonder why I try. lol

      Delete
  2. I love to read too and miss the long hours I used to spend enjoying it. I try and make reading time as well, but more often than not that time gets eaten up with something more urgent.

    I think I'll have to resort back to my habit of reading just before bed...might start that again tonight!

    HAPPY READING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. reading before bed is my *favorite* time. When I actually have 'time' and don't fall into bed in exhaustion, that is.

      Delete
  3. I love to read because it gives me an escape...a time to dream. Life is hectic, and sometimes I need that quiet time with a good book to share someone elses story...or I'm just too tired to do anything on my list but not ready to retire for the night and escape in a good book where I know there will be a "happy ever after". Books can make you laugh, make you cry, Give hope, keep you on the edge of your seat, or just shout out "YES" while sitting safely in you chair. A big THANKS to all those who give a piece of themselves through their books to us readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it so well, Brenda! In a book I can be/see/experience everything...

      Delete
  4. Every writer should read. I think it's imperative to become a better writer. Stephen King said,“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.”

    I have found that reading rejuvenates me. Refills the well, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally agree, Sharon. I've read that King quote before and I think it is *so* true.

      Delete
  5. Reading is what drew most of us into writing, right? It's vital to read, but I confess, I don't as much as I should. I'm always "too busy". I need to find time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a read while you're eating or just before bed, like Christine suggested, D'Ann..you'll find the time, I know it!

      Delete
  6. Hearty agreement here, Kristi. Sometimes I just need to set aside the writing and editing and spend a Saturday reading instead. Getting out of my own head and into someone else's story is a great mood-improver and stress-reliever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love losing myself in stories. This weekend included my usual fave authors, but also some princess-reading with bebe...and one LalaLoopsy book. Wouldn't trade the 'extra' reading for anything, MQ!

      Delete
  7. Great post, Kristina. I completely agree about making time. I used to try to read every afternoon, and generally most evenings. I'd get two books read every week. Lately, I only have time at night, and that lasts about ten minutes before the book hits me in the nose as I doze off. It took me three weeks to finish the last book I read. But it is a definite stress relievers to get lost in a story. And with your schedule and activities, you, my friend, need the stress relief. I hope you carve out the time to indulge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gemma! bebe is back in school (Kindergarten!) next week, which means more time to 'work' during the day and 'relax' at night. So I'm hoping to get back to my 2-book-week habit. :D

      Delete
  8. There was a time I never went anywhere without a book. Now I take my books in a kindle. As a young mother who provided taxi service for my children's many after school activities, I read while I waited. And we women spend a lot of time waiting. I am a fast reader and can read a book in a day and frequently do. Reading can take you away to a another place if it's any good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the lovely post, Kristina. Bebe is such a cute name too. I try to read two books a week. I just love reading, and I try to get to bed half an hour early so I never miss out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts