5 Questions with Terri Benson!

Hiya, readers! I've always been fascinated with the Titanic, so when Terri Benson contacted me about coming on the blog - and telling you all about her Titanic-inspired story, I couldn't say no! Please help me welcome Terri to the blog!

Kristina: What do you wear when you're writing?

Terri: Flannels and a sweatshirt usually.

Kristina: Sensible. I like. When was the last time you argued with one of your characters? And were you caught by a real person?

Terri: Just about every chapter I have something going on that I didn’t plan. My “bad guys” tend to go off on tangents and I have to rein them in.  My husband has gotten used to hearing me lecture my characters when I’m writing and has quit saying “what?”.

Kristina: Ha! My husband is forever asking me what I want...and getting annoyed when he realizes I'm talking to my characters instead of him! How do you keep gremlins – like your family – out of your office/writing habitat?

Terri: I used to think it would be easier when my kids grew up and moved out. But what ended up happening is that my husband and I both work full time and the only time I see him is evenings and weekends, which is the only time I have to write – and also the only time I have to do chores or have fun. The only way to  really get good quality writing time for me is to go somewhere where I don’t have distractions (hubby or chores), or arrange for him to be somewhere else when I really want to write.

Kristina: My daughter just started Kindergarten...so far I'm still trying to figure out how to use my days to the best advantage...so I get what you're saying! Have you ever taken your frustrations with the Real World out on your characters?

Terri: I have been known to write traits into my characters that I wish I saw more in everyday humans AND politicians. Since I write mostly historic, I can make my characters NOT do things I regret were done in the past.  With my mystery, I try to break some of the stereotypes that are so common.

Kristina: If you could be one character from this book, who would it be? And why?

Terri: I’d want to be Bree – she is strong, and even though she’s afraid of what might happen, she takes a huge chance to go out in the world on her own to make a life for herself.

Kristina: Bree sounds like my kind of heroine, Terri! Thank you so much for visiting today and sharing Bree with us!

All About An Unsinkable Love

Award-winning author Terri Benson’s takes you on an exciting cruise through time with An Unsinkable Love, a full-length historical romance with a few dark secrets.

An Unsinkable Love follows runaway Bree Barry as she sets sail on the great Titanic as a seamstress, eager to start a new life in America. She earns the friendship of a wealthy woman, only to find that even those who occupy the elite decks suffer from painful family secrets. Bree works hard on her client’s clothing while a charming, if persistent, young rake schemes to distract her from her task. Despite her misgivings, she finds herself drawn in as circumstances reveal there’s more to him than seduction. Disaster strikes and many lives are lost or changed forever. Bree finds herself penniless and in a hospital until her American friend comes to her rescue, not realizing that by doing so she places Bree in mortal danger

Author Lynna Banning says: …left me on pins and needles…lots of gripping action, made realistic with fascinating aspects of what it was like onboard the ship.  I was really “there”. The tension and suspense throughout is well done, and the high drama doesn’t stop with the sinking of the ship. The author gives sharp visual details and subtle hints at subplots. And the villain – wow!...I loved waiting for his demise and wondering how he would be finally tripped up and caught.  An enjoyable read.

Author Jan Weeks, adds:  An Unsinkable Love follows a band of survivors of Titanic who discover that danger dwells on land as well as in the North Atlantic. Benson has captured the essence of the era as she journeys into the lives and hearts of those who created a fashion empire, spinning a tale of treachery, passion and retribution.

5 star review:  http://www.manicreaders.com/index.cfm?disp=reviews&bookid=20542

All About Terri:

Terri Benson is a native of Grand Junction, Colorado. She’s been writing all her adult life, when raising a family allowed. Benson, winner of the GJWC’s “Excellence In Writing” Award in 2009, also writes for numerous regional newspapers and magazines.

http://www.amazon.com/An-Unsinkable-Love-ebook/dp/B006TZBKHW

http://www.terribensonwriter.com/

Comments

  1. It sounds like a great book! I hope you're above the flood waters in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Terri, thank you so much for being my guest today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by to say hi Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very cool premise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great read! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do realize without the excuse of being a writer, arguing with people in your head gets you put away and heavily medicated.
    This is why it is very important we declare ourselves authors. Otherwise we be patients and inmates.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts