We All Want to Fly - Lessons from Dumbo

Last Sunday was Elephant Appreciation Day. I love elephants for a lot of reasons. First, they are so gentle. Or, at least, they seem gentle. Kind of laid back...and yet, they can definitely take care of business when the time comes. This picture is another reason I like elephants - they know how to have a good time.

As my brain does, when I learned it was Elephant Appreciate Day, I started thinking about zoos and then the circus which, of course, brought me to Dumbo.

The story of Dumbo is poignant and inspiring and...well, all kinds of good, really. I like the messages hidden in the layers of a good story. Here are 3 of my favorites:

Your Biggest Flaw Can Become Your Biggest Asset - Dumbo's biggest flaw? Those ears that kept tripping him up. The ears were (at first) a drawback. Something bullies used to tease and discourage him. But in the end, those ears set him apart and they helped him to soar.

Real Friends Love You For Who You Are - Okay, so Timothy was more 'stuck' with Dumbo in the beginning. But from the beginning, he saw the extraordinary buried deep inside Dumbo. He saw the kind heart, the little boy who only wanted to be loved. Real friends are like that. At first, they like you despite your weirdness...but in the end, it is your weirdness that they embrace and love.

Trust Yourself, Not the Magic Feather - This one is my favorite. Because we all want that magic feather, don't we? We want some magical cure for weight problems or an easy way to get that promotion or a magic spell to make someone fall in love with us. When, in truth, we have to trust ourselves. We have to push away from the table when we are full, we have to work hard for that promotion and we have to trust that the person we love will see through the flaws on our surface of the damage inside and they will love us, anyway.

Do you have a favorite Disney flick? What have you learned from it?

Comments

  1. This is a really good post. I don't have a favorite--I love all the old ones. Story of my life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Liz! They all have their merits! :D

      Delete
  2. Great comparison Kristi! I love almost all the Disney pics (especially the princess ones..teehee)....but a lot of the same points you made are also in the the classic Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer....although not a Disney movie I have loved it since I was a little girl. Great lessons to be seen and learned:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Christine! Dumbo and Rudolph have a LOT in common...and I bet they'd have been real-life friends. You know, if their cartoon worlds had been allowed to merge.

      Delete
  3. And then there's Kermit, because it isn't easy being green. This was such a wonderful post to read this morning, and I am going to have to read or watch Dumbo in the very near future. I forgot about the feather. As an aside, if you love your elephants you will love the book When Elephants Weep. Factual and moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go check that out, Lala! Oh, Kermit...we have conversations about him all the time in our house.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I love Dumbo himself, but can't watch the movie--it rips my guts out. Yes, I'm sensitive. LOL
    I love how this elly is smiling. Isn't he adorable. I can't think of a fave Disney movie. They're all sad...Fox and the Hound, Bambi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many are, D'Ann! I think Walt must've had some issues to work through! I have to say, I liked the princess movies as a little kid but then, as I grew up, I didn't like the idea of the prince needing to save the princess. BUT, this new crop (Tangled/Rapunzel, Brave/Merida) where the princesses are doing the saving? Love them!

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of trusting yourself and not the magic feather. Over the past year I've slowly started learning that to change myself, I have to be honest with myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true, Sharon. And it's bloody hard to look in the mirror and suss out those imperfections (and perfections!) and then to go even further and be brutally honest about them.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous2:15 PM

    Great post and great advice! Cute pics :) Didn't watch many Disney movies growing up and my kids never really liked them so I can't pick a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't watch many Disney flicks? Jennifer, we need to talk! lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts