3 On Thursday ~ Television Goodbyes!

This week, social media (especially Twitter) has been awash with sadness over a few not-so-happy endings: Breaking Bad came to a final end, on NCIS Tony and Ziva said goodbye quite poignantly and the final season (or so we're told) of the comedy How I Met Your Mother began. Which got me thinking about all the other goodbyes that have gone before this week. And that led me to a blog post: 3 on Thursday ~ Television Goodbyes.

This list (in no particular order) is for television shows I loved that have gone on to Television Heaven.

The King of Queens

I really loved this show, for a lot of reasons. The comedy was smart (when it wasn't just silly), the acting was good (who hasn't wanted to strangle their crazy dad from time to time?) and serious from time to time (like when Doug and Carrie dealt with their best friends' marriage break-up). What I loved about the ending was that it didn't change the craziness of this couple who were finally getting the thing they wanted (a baby) in a way they never expected (adoption *and* birth). It was a fun way to say goodbye.

M*A*S*H*

What I absolutely love about this finale (which I saw for the first time in re-runs after a week of Finals) is that they not only kept up the trademark MASH craziness, but they dealt with actual issues. Ahead of their time issues like post-traumatic stress. And when Hawkeye's helicopter lifts off and he finally sees BJ's goodbye, spelled out in rocks, you just can't help but cry a little.


Charmed

I think I've probably rattled on to you guys a few times about my love for this show about flawed sisters who don't always start out doing the right thing, who sometimes put the personal ahead of the 'greater good' but always make their way back home. And save the world in the process. What I love about the finale is that the writers didn't just stop with the sisters. In the final scene, each sister writes her truth into The Book - what came before, what comes next...it gave us a glimpse of what happened once the sisters defeated the forces of Evil.

What about you? What shows did you cry over (just a little bit) when they ended?

Comments

  1. I loved King of Queens too and still enjoy the reruns even though I've seen them all a million times. And Mash is a total classic. I was sad when Friends ended, Seinfeld (loved the ending on this one because they brought back so many characters from the past seasons). There are others I've enjoyed and hated to say goodbye to, but those are a few that standout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Seinfeld ending was definitely a classic, Christine!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed all these shows but admit I didn't watch King of Queens faithfully. I didn't even know when it went off because I mostly discovered it after it had ended via reruns. But M.A.S.H. Made me cry. Then so did a lot of the episodes through the years. Mostly, these days, this show fills me with memories of Daddy who loved it and I would always watch with him.

    I MISS ZEVA!!!!!!!!! Her goodbye to Tony broke my heart. I always knew there was something there, though neither openly acted on it. But the optimist in me says it was left open for her to return someday. :)

    Would you believe through the series of Charmed and all the reruns I've yet to see the episode where Prue was killed? I manage to see the one before and the one after and it makes me so mad! lol

    I miss a lot of shows and none will come to me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that epi was SO GOOD, Calisa! The actresses for Phoebe and Piper did such an amazing job ... you need to catch it some time. :D

      And I miss Ziva already, too. I loved her character, but the optimist in me (like you) thinks it was left open for a reason...

      Delete
  3. I became a total wreck watching the finale of M*A*S*H. My son was a baby and that scene where the mother killed her own still gets to me (even though Hawkeye thought it was a chicken crying). I won't watch that episode again, that's for sure (it still haunts me), but I love the series.

    I probably cried a little bit at the ending of Friends, but only because it was the end. That show never failed to make me laugh and it never seemed to get stale (at least to me). I'm glad I own the series on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends! Oh, that show was so much fun. I just found (it's on YouTube but I don't have the link handy) an interview with Alan Alda about that final MASH episode. Very good interview about what it meant to him to go that far with the character.

      Delete
  4. Two. I loved Mary Tyler Moore...all of them, even Mr. Grant in a huddle. And Bob Newhart...when he woke up with his wife from the other show, "Emily, I just had the weirdest dream...." Very memorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever seen those particular goodbyes, Ann...I will check them out! Thanks for coming by.

      Delete
  5. I think Newhart's was classic Bob and I loved it. Friends is probably my all-time favorite show--I still laugh at the jokes and love it when they visit my tv, and I thought their finale was faithful to the show.

    My third would have to be the movie finale of China Beach--I loved finding out what happened to the characters post-Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that one was great! We had a party the night of the finale in high school, Margie. And we cried.

      Delete
    2. Kristi--I read in TV Guide that China Beach is finally coming out on DVD for their 25th anniversary. There was even a reunion pic of the cast. It's going to be on my Christmas list this year :)

      Delete
  6. Fun post. I, too, loved Friends, and I had just started watching Northern Exposure when it ended and felt cheated. Does Bette Midler singing goodbye to Johnny Carson count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Lala, that was one of the BEST endings. Ever! Thanks for the reminder of Bette & Johnny!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:38 AM

    Three's Company for me. Gets me every time. Great post, Kristina!! And M.A.S.H. is a tear-jerker for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd forgotten about Three's Company!

      Delete
  8. Not so much tears, but this crazy feeling of loss. That happened with Friends and The Tudors on Showtime. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never watched The Tudors, Elley ... but I'm right there with you on Friends.

      Delete
  9. MASH. Makes me tear up even now. Lassie when I was a child. Friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't think I ever really watched Lassie. I saw a few episodes here and there, but it wasn't on very often when I was a kid.

      Delete
  10. I haven't watched the other two shows, but M*A*S*H is my all time favorite final episode. I LOVE that show. I still watch it in reruns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Sharon. And if the finale is on, I always DVR so I can watch a couple of times.

      Delete
  11. I hated to see the end of "Friends". Those cast of characters had grown on me over the years. But a more recent show I hated to see end was Monk with the talented Tony Shalhoub.

    We held our breath while watching the last few of Breaking Bad - edge of your seat tension. I didn't like the way all of the loose ends were tied up (oh, Hank!) but in the end the last episode was satisfying.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts