Last of the Season?

I like to think I'm a good gardener, but really I'm just lucky. And I pick plants that don't need a ton of TLC because, round about mid-July I'm a little bored with the whole thing. I've been known to forget to water plants for a week at a time. (shhhh, don't tell my mom)

Prime example: last summer, bebe and I potted a grouping of flowers - petunias, some tall grasses maybe a begonia. It was beautiful for about the first week. And then, Kristina happened. Okay, technically the zero shade near the wall where we placed the pot didn't help. I did water it, daily...that sun was just unforgiving. The pot lasted about two weeks and there was no bringing it back.

So bebe and I headed off to buy something a little more hardy and what we wound up with was a hibiscus bush-thing because, in bebe-speak, 'look at that ginormipous flower!'

So far, we've managed to keep it alive. It loves our front porch in the summer months and once the frost comes, we'll move it inside...where hopefully it will make it through its second winter.

This may be the last hibiscus bloom of the season, at least in our area. The nights are getting cooler and the sun is taking a little longer to rise. But I (and bebe) was so excited to see one more bloom from our little plant.

How about you? Are you catching a few last blooms before the long winter? 

Comments

  1. Oh, you're killing my gardening heart! I love to garden and hate when the frost starts killing my plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I do love gardening...I just get distracted, I think! And I'm sad this is the last of my hibiscus for the year!

      Delete
  2. I love gardening, it feeds my soul, just me and the earth...I dread this time of year when our weather changes so fast it kills anything on winter hardy in our area. I love using old used coffee grounds for my gardenias, azealeas, and other acid loving plants. I've learned a ton of tricks to protect some of my plants, but always wanting to learn more. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for visiting today, Deb! I hadn't heard the coffee grounds idea. We don't drink coffee but my MIL does...may ask her to save some for us from time to time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts