Tasty Tuesday: Puppy Chow!

We haven't shared many recipes lately ... and since the weather is beginning to turn, that means we're all thinking about treats. So I decided today was the perfect Tuesday to share one of my favorite treat recipes. My family calls this one Puppy Chow, but I've also seen it called Reindeer Poop/Chow (personally, I prefer the chow because who wants to snack on poop?). The best part: You only need 5 ingredients.

What you need: 

1 Box of Crispix cereal (Rice Chex will work in a pinch..and that's what I have on-hand, so)
1 8 oz. package of milk chocolate chips (I like Toll House, you can use whatever)
4 TBSP Butter or Margarine
2 Cups Powdered/Confectioner's Sugar
1 Cup of Peanut Butter (or 1 8 oz package of PB chips)

How to make it:

Pour the cereal into a large mixing bowl (this is a lot of cereal so you might want to make it an extra-large bowl) and set aside. Over medium heat, melt the butter in a double boiler and then add chocolate chips. Stir often, until melted, and then add the peanut butter. Keep stirring until it's all melted and gooey and making your mouth water. Remove the chocolate and peanut butter from heat and pour over the cereal. Mix well - all the cereal should be coated with the chocolate mix. Put the powdered/confectioner's sugar into a plain brown bag (like a grocery bag) and then pour the coated cereal mix inside. Fold the bag over two times and then shake so that the powdered sugar coats the chocolate. Pour the mix from the bag into a serving bowl and voila! You're done!

Kristi's note: I've made this using peanut butter and PB chips. My family actually prefers the PB chips, and the chips melt better.. But use your own judgement on it.

Okay, share away: tell us one of your favorite fall recipes in the comments.

Comments

  1. That sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Puppy Chow! I have no control when I eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way, Sharon! So I only make it when the whole family is going to be here!

    D'Ann, it's delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:56 PM

    We love Puppy Chow!! I make mine with vanilla but otherwise the same :) Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My recipe is for mulled cider, which I love. However, I didn't have a recipe handy, so I stole this one from Woman's Day. :-)

    Warm up during wintertime with this deliciously spiced mix made by boiling apple cider with cinnamon sticks, cloves and strips of orange peel. Dress up each mug with a cinnamon stick and orange slice.
    Recipe Ingredients
    10 cups (2 1/2 qts) apple cider
    3 cinnamon sticks
    6 whole cloves
    3 strips orange peel, removed with a vegetable peeler
    Garnish: orange slices and cinnamon sticks
    Recipe Preparation
    1. Bring cider, cinnamon sticks, cloves and orange peel to a boil in a large pot over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 25 to 35 minutes.
    2. Line a strainer with cheesecloth or a plain white paper towel. Set strainer over a large clean saucepan; strain cider mixture into pan. Ladle into mugs. (May be refrigerated up to 2 days, then reheated.)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'm printing this off, Liz. Sounds YUM!

      Delete
  6. They all sound delicious. I'm going a bit different. Here's my recipe for Butternut Squash Soup. Believe it or not, this is a family favorite (that's saying a lot since my family doesn't really like squash)

    Butternut Squash Soup
    1 small butternut squash, peeled & cubed
    1 small granny smith apple, peeled & cubed
    1 medium white onion, chopped
    3 T raw rice
    1 t. sugar
    Pinch of curry powder
    4 cups chicken stock

    Simmer all above ingredients for 35-40 minutes (until squash is soft)then blend all ingredients in blender or food processor(need to transfer in small batches). Add next ingredients:

    ¼ C. cream
    Milk(can add to stretch if needed)
    6 oz. pepperjack cheese(Tillamook is a good brand with a kick)
    Salt to taste.
    After adding these last ingredients don’t overheat. ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never eaten squash soup, but this sounds soooo rich!

      Delete
    2. Liz, it's a meal all by itself. Pair is with a multigrain bread and it will stick to your ribs.

      Delete
  7. Oh, Gemma, that sounds yummy! Adding this to my fall soup list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina, you'll have to let me know how you like it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts