First Snows

Our first snowfall of the season began last night around 9PM. I'm positive this isn't the earliest it has ever snowed in our area...but it is the earliest we've had snow since RadioMan and I moved up here. It wasn't much, just over a dusting. Enough to cover the ground and bring down a lot more leaves.

bebe, of course, is squealing around the house and excited to play with her friends at school. You know, for about 5 minutes and then they'll all be eager to get back inside where its warm.

For me, I'm enjoying the sight, even though there is grass peeking through the ground cover and leaves lying on top. I love the first few snowfalls of each season. That first blizzard? Makes me inordinately happy.

As me again in February if I'm still excited about snow and cold and my answer will be different, but for the first few snows and the chilly toes and bundling up and I'll always tell you I love it. Because I do.

I finished a new project last week and sent the last bit off to my agent for her input. The snow this morning reminded me that I'm early-days-excited about most things in my life: the first character sketches of a new book are infinitely more exciting than the third pass through a manuscript looking for just one more typo, for example. The first chapters so much easier to write than the middle. And by the time I hit the black moment, sometimes I'm just a little bit disillusioned with my own characters. Until they bring be back with a great line or another first.

The important thing, I've found, is to keep pushing forward. Even when I'm sick and tired of my toes being cold or of being bundled in tee-shirt and sweatshirt if I keep pushing forward I'll get to the green of new grass in spring time. Just as, when I'm annoyed with the shenanigans of my characters they turn around and do something so selfless and unexpected that I just have to love them all over again. I love those moments. It's why I keep writing.

Do you have a tried-and-true way to writing through those doldrums?

Comments

  1. We are supposed to get a horrid freeze tonight and today the predicted storm moved in with a blast of wind. Basically it's very cold out and Andee is going on her first field trip of the year, to a cool old homestead which means the kids will be in and out of the cold. I'm predicting another kind of cold by next week. We'll be putting her flu shot to the test.

    I do like you and just write through the low spots, or put that ms away for a few days and work on something else until those characters start talking sense again. :) Good luck with the new submission!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Calisa! And sending *warm* vibes to Andee during her field trip today!

      Delete
  2. I cannot tell a lie - I cheat a little. If I'm really feeling blah about a middle scene I'll skip ahead and let myself work on one I'm really looking forward to. A lot of times that will trigger something and help me get excited about where I left off in the story again.

    Bribing myself with ice cream works too. Even in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Jayne! I've skipped ahead a few times. Whatever helps the words come, you know?

      Delete
  3. Ugh,the winter blues. It's so hard to push through them. But Spring will come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it will..and for now I'm enjoying a cup of cocoa and the view out my window. :D

      Delete
  4. It's been sunny and 75 here in Northern California. It would be great if it wasn't November. We need snow in the Sierras and it's not looking good any time soon.

    My writing is sort of in a drought phase, too. I'm doing final galley proofs for my first book and pre-edits for my second and I'm torn between which book comes next. Not to mention doctor appointments, JV football banquets and omg my son is kinda sorta dating the girl he took to Homecoming I'm not getting as much time to get into the drafting stage.

    But the next thing I know, we'll be sick of the winter weather, my kids will manage to go a whole month without emergency medical services, we will have survived the holidays and out pops a daffodil and the words "The End."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My life (sans the teenagery moments) sounds a LOT like yours - little bits of progress, little bits of life and then a wow-how'd-that-happen moment thrown in to keep us on our toes. Thanks for visiting, Kristina!

      Delete
  5. We got the snow too. My 13 year old was so excited when she woke up this morning. Me? Not so much. I worried about my 17 year old driving in it. He hasn't driven in the winter yet. I'm okay with snow until Jan 2. Then I'm ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Yeah, as soon as Christmas is over, spring can come right away as far as I'm concerned, Sharon!

      Delete
  6. I'm almost never a fan of snow--unless I know either it or I will be moving on very quickly. The 'slushy' parts of a book are different for me. In a way I like them and will happily slug away at them because the 'slush,' if you will, means that I'm still in discovery (drafting) mode. Drafting, or discovering the story, is my favorite part of writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's so true, Rue, and you made me look again at what I love about writing. It *is* very much the discovery, even the head-pounding ones, that keep me coming back.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous11:51 AM

    I'm in Michigan and didn't get any snow-darn it! I love winter! At least until about March and then I'm done :)

    I wish I had a method to get me through those writing blues but I don't. I just push through and it usually gets better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pushing works, Jennifer, believe that! I totally do. And then when those easy days come it's a nice relief. :) Thanks for coming by today.

      Delete
  8. Ah, you are a kindred spirit. I love snow, doesn't matter if it's November or April. Just love to watch the stuff come down and get outside and shovel for a while (I know, weird, right?)
    After reading this, it suddenly hit me that I'm in the middle of my current work. No wonder I feel stuck. I haven't resorted to this yet for this story, but in the past, I've actually pulled out a deck of Tarot cards to get through a particular problem. Just reading the descriptions for the three or five cards I pull is inspiring and a great way to find the direction I need. It's worked every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried author tarot before, Gemma...how does that work?

      And I actually like snow shoveling, too, it's a good workout!

      Delete
  9. A great post, Kristi. You said what so many of us feel (about weather AND about being in the middle of the book!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts