Happy New Year!

Hiya, gang! Long time, no talk, eh? I have to tell you going 'dark' over here through the holidays was H.A.R.D. Seriously! It was also incredibly refreshing. We might just make this a yearly habit. Speaking of yearly habits...

Did you make any New Year's Resolutions this year? How ya doing? Oh, Me?

Nope, I'm not a resolutions kind of girl. For one very specific reason: I don't think resolutions are something that need to only happen on December 31/January 1. I think resolutions (or goals) are something you can make, meet, re-do any time of the year, and I think looking at them in a kind of always moving, always changing frame of mind is quite healthy.

And I think many of us (former resolution maker, raising my hand) initially set ourselves up for failure when we make a big deal of setting goals only once per year. I can't tell you the number of times I resolved to 1) lose weight or 2) get a promotion or 3) sign a new book contract. And within three weeks I was only down a pound (and incredibly discouraged) and another was chosen for the job I wanted (and I was discouraged) and word was very slow coming about a new contract (and I just kind of gave up).

Those are not productive, moving forward kinds of actions. You know why I had them? Because I was making something a goal that I had no control of. Okay, on the weight loss, I was in control (and still am). But, really, when you're shooting for a new job or a new contract, you're not in control of the final decision. Sure, you put your best foot forward, but in the end another person (or persons) make the final decision.

When I finally realized that I wasn't in control of the resolutions I was making, I had a mindset change, and a pretty big one: I make goals and I make them year-round. I have daily goals for the writing, weekly, monthly, quarterly. I have business goals, sales goals. I have personal goals. When I meet a goal (like finishing a book or signing a new contract), I adjust. I make new goals based on where I want to go next and if I don't hit a goal post, I adjust and try again. The best part of my new system? I'm constantly making goals, meeting goals, trying again ... and if the worst happens, I don't wait until the next December 31/January 1 to revise my plan.

How about you? A New Year's Resolution Maker? How are you doing with your goals? 

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:29 AM

    I'm with you, Kristina! I don't set resolutions, I set goals. I do like to start my New Year out with a one-word goal. Mine for this year is: Productive. So we'll see how that goes, lol. Great post and good luck to all who set resolutions and goals! Let this be a fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a resolution-maker, either, except that I really probably am. It's always there at the back of my mind that I want to end the year thinner, in better writing shape, more giving. But I won't admit those are resolutions, because then I won't keep them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. I set goals rather than resolutions. I set micro goals (weekly, monthly) and then long term goals (yearly, 5 year) and that works for me. Love the post : - )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I think I might adopt your word for the year as my own - great one!

    Liz, I'm with you..and one of my goals is to be thinner by 2015. :D

    Sonya, high-five! Good luck!

    D'Ann, thanks for stopping by. :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts