Have You Read These?

So, I found this interesting: its a list of books (compiled by asking librarians across the country) that you should read before you die. The books I've read are in blue and I still have quite a few to go before I read all 30. Thought I would have read more since I read a lot, but I guess I've regimented my reading into contemporary romance (the stuff I write) for the last few years. Guess it's time to dust off the old library card...see if I can find a few more books for my Keeper Shelf. BTW, have you ever seen a more diverse top 3?

How about y'all? How many of these must-reads have you read?

The Top 30
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee - want to read it again--without the threat of my H.S. Lit teacher hanging over my head.
The Bible (by God!) - yep. cover to cover. Did a Bible In A Year course so it was little bits at a time.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien - does watching the movie trilogy count? okay, didn't think so.
1984 by George Orwell
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
All Quiet on the Western Front by E M Remarque
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Tess of the d'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Winnie the Pooh by AA Milne
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Prophet by Khalil Gibran
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Middlemarch by George Eliot
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzenhitsyn

Comments

  1. I kept losing count, but I think I've only read eight or nine of them. And I probably won't read more. I've reached the point that I read strictly for pleasure--I think maybe it's too late to improve my mind. :-)

    I will admit that a few of them I read were indeed life-changers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read (mostly) for pleasure, too, Liz...but some of these I've wanted to read...so I'll try a few more.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:47 AM

    Hmm, interesting list. I've read 9 and most of those in high school. The rest probably won't get read, though I've seen the movie of a couple of others. I think that should count :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've read 6 of them and of those six, I've read two of them multiple times. Of the ones I did NOT read, I have no desire to ever read them. I learned a long time ago that reading is a chore if it's no fun and those books don't look like fun. I'll stick to fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. great point, Stacy! Reading should be an escape - and a fun escape, at that!

      Delete
  4. PS: everyone, sorry for the goof on the blue color - hopefully you can read the list better now that it's in a light blue and not practically a match for my blog background! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good list! Haven't read too many on here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts